Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FlexLM on the same machine, or a Parallels VN?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FlexLM on the same machine, or a Parallels VN?

I am running a few tests using FlexLM, and I am not having much luck. Right now I am trying to run FlexLM on the same machine as the Revit install, and Revit fails to see the license server, while LMTools claims everything is working as expected. Can anyone verify if there is a reason the can't work, or if there is some specific configuration tweak required to make it work?

Another option I have is a minimally provisioned Parallels VM for FlexLM and an adequately provisioned VM for Revit, and running both VMs at once, with shared Virtual Networking. Now, I have run FlexLM on a VM for years in offices, but that was using Hyper-V or VMWare for Servers. I have never tried it with a desktop virtualization solution like Parallels or VirtualPC. Anyone have any experience going that route?

Thanks!
    Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Doesn't it have to go on a domain server (server OS)? Not likely that Revit would normally be installed on the same computer... You are always doing things unconventionally aren't you? I was going to write "hard way", I admit it...

Comment

No, no need to be on a domain server (contro11er? I have been out of IT too long.), and for the most part I think it is better not. I have successfully run FlexLM for years on a VM with Windows 7, 1 CPU and all of 2Gb of RAM. Accessed by 30+ users. Nary a problem. And if I do need to reboot the FlexLM server I can do it without taking down the rest of the domain. But the reason we moved to a VM was because it WAS on the Print Server. And IT wanted to reboot the print server 3 times a week. And this was 2010, when loss of FlexLM left Revit unable to even save! And no, IT tended not to warn the staff before the reboot.

As for the current scenario, I just want to validate some settings and configuration within FlexLM, and do it at home with VMs rather than have to create a physical network of machines for a week of testing. Certainly not a scenario I would use for production, or ever suggest anyone use for production. But a test bench for things like the Timeout option in the Options file, Deployments, etc. it seems (potentially) viable for. And (for once? ) it might be the easier way.

Now this does raise an actual production environment question. For those running Revit Server, is there a negative with having FlexLM on the same server? You can't use one without the other, and FLexLM is a VERY lightweight service (not written by Autodesk, low complexity, high utility). So it seems like, if you already need a dedicated server for Revit Server, and don't want to go the route of supporting a VM for FlexLM, the Revit Server could be an ideal place for it. Unless there are side effects.

Gee, thanks Steve. Now I am asking two questions.

Gordon
      Gordon Price
      Administrator
      Last edited by Gordon Price; March 23, 2012, 05:18 AM.
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I don't get to play with this stuff and servers now like I used to. One side effect of consulting life, at least for me. Back when I set it up for Adesk stuff I thought the documentation expected or recommended it go in the domain server. Guess my memory is well off. Sorry for stirring up more questions!

Comment

Well, depending on how long ago that was, it certainly could be that FlexLM has changed over the years. I don't remember a server OS requirement, but it is only in the last few years that I have successfully done the workstation OS approach, and I wasn't even looking back in the day when I was doing IT (circa 2005). And in the XP days you had a 10 concurrent user limit, and slower processors that kept connections active longer, so XP was less than ideal for this approach, even if FlexLM would install. Windows 7 really opened up this possibility. Or really Vista, as vista has the same 20 concurrent user limit, and newer Core and Core2 CPUs that keep the connections nice and short. And used as a headless server it isn't nearly so ugly.

Anyway, hopefully there is someone with answers to both, as the second one is good info to have.

EDIT: I should mention, I did have an epiphany and remember to turn off the firewall on the machine, in case the request for a license was seen as inappropriate incoming traffic. Even with the Firewall off, Revit doesn't see the license server running on the same machine.

EDIT: Bridged Mode on the virtual NICs doesn't help either. But I can ping the machines, so connectivity is there.

Gordon
          Gordon Price
          Administrator
          Last edited by Gordon Price; March 23, 2012, 06:34 AM.
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment