Thoughts on new Revit/Max system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on new Revit/Max system

Here's the specs of a new system I'm looking at putting together.
    I have looked at most of the other posts here, and what I've picked seems to be OK. But I would just like one of you experts to have a quick look to make sure that there isn't something glaringly obvious that I've missed, or would be better changed.
    Attached Files

i'm no expert but i'd definately be getting more ram. Also the available sizes of new HDD's these days scares me...1TB of data is a lot to lose if it goes bang! i typically set up my desktop systems to have 2 separate drives, one for the OS/program installations & the other for data, makes data backups quicker & easier too.
    elton williams
    Forum Addict
    Last edited by elton williams; October 26, 2011, 12:05 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
      i'm no expert but i'd definately be getting more ram.
      Thanks Elton.
      I have been using only 4GB ram for ages, without too much of a problem. The file-sizes I work with in Revit rarely get over 50MB. But I have only been on XP 32. So should I go to 16GB...?

Comment

50mb files aren't really big but ram is relatively cheap nowadays if your budget allows and revit 2012 has upped the ante again. I only use max occassionally (even then it's mostly revit fbx's) so can't really comment there. If you're upgrading to win7 it'll definately help, escpecially if you leave aero themes and all the gizmo's on - i don't, i try and run minimal windows services as it's a hog at the best of times.

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
          50mb files aren't really big but ram is relatively cheap nowadays if your budget allows and revit 2012 has upped the ante again. I only use max occassionally (even then it's mostly revit fbx's) so can't really comment there. If you're upgrading to win7 it'll definately help, escpecially if you leave aero themes and all the gizmo's on - i don't, i try and run minimal windows services as it's a hog at the best of times.
          My Max use is mainly with FBX from Revit too. I'm not interested in having all the Windows frills on either. I just want a stable, quick machine.....

Comment

We have a lot of machines with 8gb of Ram...but I noticed some of them whine on certain models. I get by very well with 12gb...but there is 16gb ram for $100 out there, I put some in my i72600k system...love it!

Also if you can find a cheap SSD, I'd take advantage of that Intel Smart Response tech on that mobo...I have the gigabyte with the miniSSD on the board, it helps speed up my regular drive quite a bit. Anything above 64gb you can partition for a boot drive. Might be a nice spot for that Windows 7 to be installed too. I wish I had the money to do it, but I only bought a 30gb card.
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Chris, 8 GB of RAM is plenty for the size models you're working on. Today, I had four 50 MB models open simultaneously, no problem. And if you ever need more RAM, just pop a couple more 4 GB modules in. However, unless you're on the OC, there's no reason for the 1600MHz RAM - stick with the 1333MHz.

WD is my HDD of choice, but for a primary HDD I always spring for the "Caviar Black" series. It might set you back another US$30, but for my data, it's worth it.

There's no reason to install your OS/apps on a different drive from your data, unless you're also getting an SSD. However, there's a case to be made for separating your OS/apps and data on separate partitions - mainly with the idea that if you want to reinstall/upgrade Windows, you can do a clean install without erasing your data in the process. However, if that sounds overly-complicated, don't worry yourself with it.

Speaking of SSD, that would be the one upgrade that I'd encourage if you can swing the extra kiwi. If you did, I'd suggest "downgrading" the HDD to the "Caviar Green" series if you needed help offsetting the cost.

Best of luck with the new kit!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I have placed an order, with a couple of changes. I did go for 16GB ram, and went for a 500GB Caviar Black HD, and a Thermaltake 600W PSU. Added a cheap keyboard and monitor to go with my old computer.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the difference between my old machine.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by iru69 View Post
                  There's no reason to install your OS/apps on a different drive from your data, unless you're also getting an SSD. However, there's a case to be made for separating your OS/apps and data on separate partitions - mainly with the idea that if you want to reinstall/upgrade Windows, you can do a clean install without erasing your data in the process. However, if that sounds overly-complicated, don't worry yourself with it.
                  Without non-chalance for anything YOU have said, I gave my reasoning for dual drives as "...the available sizes of new HDD's these days scares me...1TB of data is a lot to lose if it goes bang!"

What's good for the goose isn't always what's good for the gander.:thumbsup:

Comment

Just an FYI....if you do decide to try the Smart Response tech with an SSD....you will have to reinstall Windows....Windows has to see the RAID before it's installed. (Speaking from experience)
                    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment