Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best resolution for Revit

Hi,

I'm the IT person for a company and am trying to suggest the best monitor/resolution for our Revit user. I have read that a monitor with a 16x10 format is better for designers than the common HDTV format of 16x9.

This translates into a resolution of 1920x1200 and NOT 1920x1080.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks,

Scott

More pixels = better always. I would also recommend a 2nd monitor as well.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
      More pixels = better always.
      Seconded.

Personally I see no point in "HD" screens with their limited pixel count for work monitors.

Comment

Cool. Thank you both for your input.

Comment

2560x1600 is better :laugh:

Comment

I like the maximum amount the monitor is capable of....so for my Dell 2209 (22" screens) its 1680x1050...

The more desktop space the better! Gotta have a pair of monitors...
            Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

I have 2 ViewSonic 22" at 1680x1050. Its plenty of space... howerver the 42" 1080p at home is pretty sweet as well. :P
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

To me the resolution/ratio is secondary to screen size. A 24" screen is probably going to be OK with either resolution, while a 19" screen is rather painful no matter what the format. Even two 19" screens is problematic, because the one you offload to only gets half used, and the primary is still crowded. At 22" or lower, I agree that 16:10 is a better format than 16:9, but once you hit 24" you have so much room to work with that the differences is negligible. A good price on a 16:9 monitor at 24" with really good color rendering and LED backlights would win for me over 16:10 and poor color rendering and CCFL backlighting.

For what it is worth, to me the nearly ideal scenario is one large screen (24" minimum) and one small screen (19" maximum). A 27" iMac (2560x1440) and a 9.7" iPad (768x1024) is really close to perfect for me. Until 30" iMacs and 11" iPads are available I guess.

Also, if you happen to have a 16:9 monitor you can always put Properties and Project Browser side by side, rather than stacked. This gives you quicker access to more of those interfaces (less scrolling) and takes advantage of the "extra" width. It still leaves a view with a proportion similar to a landscape drawing sheet, which is what our views are mostly configured for anyway, so there isn't a lot of wasted white space. And now that 2012 finally actually leaves your reconfigured UI the way you want it, I find this is my default work environment.

Gordon
                Last edited by Gordon Price; October 17, 2011, 07:04 PM.
                Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
                  ...Also, if you happen to have a 16:9 monitor you can always put Properties and Project Browser side by side, rather than stacked. This gives you quicker access to more of those interfaces (less scrolling) and takes advantage of the "extra" width. ...
                  Gordon
                  This is why I use 3 monitors. Well, that and my main monitors are small. 20" wide screens. The third is a 19" ...err....don't know the term, square one? Is that the technical term? :laugh: 4:3 ratio. That holds the PB and properties window. As well as the family browser when I get around to setting it up. 3 monitors are perfect. :thumbsup:
                  Dan

Comment

example: 2011-10-17_1225 - Alex_Cunningham's library
                    -Alex Cunningham

Comment