Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New BUDGET (Very Budget) Desktop

Hi everyone,

My boss wants to buy a computer that runs revit 2012 and Autocad :hide:, however this is just a temporary one until we get some money for a decent work station
    What is the bare minimum that will allow us this in under $600 including any shipping costs. Exclude monitor. (we have a couple of monitors )
    I can build the computer myself.

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance for any help provided
    Juan Carlos Moreno
    Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
    Sisley Cosmetics

Ill throw one together from Newegg over lunch today for ya.

How big of a project will you be working on?
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

What kinda projects are you working on? If it's purely small residential jobs, it's probably not impossible, but if your typical projects are Hotels and Hospitals, it's another story
      Klaus Munkholm
      "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

As a starting point for you.
        Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg
        $419.92 w/o shipping or tax. You might be able to save a few bucks here and there with some effort into the components. Like... do you need a 500GB hard drive... or what is the bare min video card you could get away with...

IDK if you will need a OS either. Here is one...
        Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

It can also help if you can cannibalize your existing machine to the new one....like reuse DVD or CDRW's...cases, etc...
          Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Thanks guys!

we will be doing mainly residential probably no more than a couple of townhomes here and there. ~3,500 - 5,000 sq ft
            I think we can get away with 250GB or 300GB hard drive and the video card can be anything decent that can run revit without giving me too much grief.
            The RAM seems to be out of stock so I'll have to look for some alternative.

I'll keep you guys posted.
            Juan Carlos Moreno
            Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

l don't think JCM's firm's approach makes much business sense, but it was a fun game to play over lunch. Here's a part's list that should actually make for a pretty decent box while still sneaking in an Intel Sandy Bridge CPU, and pretty good quality parts. Would I recommend this? No. But the best I could do for $600, including a new copy of Windows 7. Final tab is just about $600 on the nose (w/ shipping, but after rebates).

(I take no responsibility for whether all these parts work together )
              Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
              1 Antec Three Hundred + BP430 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 430W Power Supply
              Item #: N82E16811129065
              Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
              -$15.00 Instant $99.95
              $84.95
              1 Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKX 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
              Item #: N82E16822136770
              Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
              -$5.00 Instant $44.99
              $39.99
              1 Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model KVR1333D3N9K2/8G
              Item #: N82E16820139075
              Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
              $49.99
              1 MSI N520GT-MD1GD3/LP GeForce GT 520 (Fermi) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
              Item #: N82E16814127583
              Return Policy: VGA Standard Return Policy
              $15.00 Mail-in Rebate Card $54.99
              1 Intel BOXDH61CRB3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
              Item #: N82E16813121504
              -$4.00 Instant $79.99
              $75.99
              1 Intel Core i5-2300 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz (3.1GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52300
              Item #: N82E16819115076
              Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
              $179.99
              1 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit
              Item #: N82E16832116986
              Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy
              $99.99
              1 LG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS70 OEM
              Item #: N82E16827136238
              $17.99

Comment

This makes me wonder: how long did your boss have to save to get to 600,-?
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I would factor in the non-billable time it takes to build the machine. That's why I don't build my work machines any more
                  Rick Moore, AIA
                  Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects

Comment

Well, let me shine some light on this issue.
                    While I don't agree with the decision, I'm doing the research in order to find the best option giving the current circumstances .
                    The deal is the following:
                    We were offered some free advertising in the form of some spots on TV after a show,and a magazine ad. For this though, they want to do a show where they visit our office as well.
                    Given that the show will be filmed in a week and a half and we are just getting started in a new office, we need a "quick fix" and produce a presentable office for such ad.
                    I work from my laptop and we are going to have someone help us out on a project that is coming in two weeks, so we need a computer for him.
                    We want something that will be decent enough to run Revit 2012 and ACAD, however In January we are starting a project, which will then allow us to get some good work stations.

This Quick fix computer would then be handed down to a receptionist that will begin working with us at about the same time the huge project gets under way.

Thanks for all the input and I will let you know how it goes.
                    Juan Carlos Moreno
                    Sisley Cosmetics

Comment