Killed My Computer Today..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Killed My Computer Today..

Came to work, logged on, and knew something was wrong. Preliminary diagnosis is blown mother board. 6 months out of warranty. :banghead:

Rather than getting a new mother board, which may or may not be the problem, for a 3.5 year old computer; my boss decided to buy me another rig.

It's already bought, should have it Thursday. What do you think of this:

Xenon 3.2 quad core
    12G 1333MHz ECC Ram
    Nvidia Quadro FX 2000
    (2) 10,000 RPM SATA hard drives
    Win 7 64 bit

Decent?
    Dan

Yeah looks nice.

I have similar rig, but with i7 975 instead of Xeon, no ECC on the RAM and an FX580 instead of FX2000.

I can open 600 mb central with about 150 mb worth of links no worries.
    Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
    Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

Looks good Dan.
      Although my personal opinion is, that Xeon and Quadro is a waste off money. I just can't find any good argument for spending double the money, and getting roughly the same performance as an i7..
      Anyway, congratulation with the new, hope it will do you good..

Comment

Not to pile on Dan :hide:, but I suspect I would have gone for the i7, standard RAM, a GeForce GTX 580 and added a nice SSD boot drive. Oh, who am I kidding. I would have gotten another iMac!
        All that said, that is gonna be a screamer machine compared to what you had.

Gordon
        Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Looking for a new machine myself at the moment. I must admit, I am also centering my search around an i7 sandybridge. They are pretty damn close to the top of the "fast" list, and seem to be fairly well priced at the moment. Check out this site for chip comparisons:

Charts, benchmarks Desktop CPU Charts 2010, Image Rendering: 3DS Max 2010
          I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

Comment

See, therein lies the problem. I told my IT guy I wanted an i7, to which he replied Dell doesn't offer them in a workstation. I thought that was odd, but whatever. It beats my old Pentium Core 2 duo, 2.6 (i think) with 8G ram. And lots of issues. :laugh:

This rig was already assembled, too. Which is why they got it. Otherwise, I would have been down for 2 weeks instead of a few days.
            Last edited by dzatto; October 5, 2011, 02:10 PM.
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by KimArndt View Post
              Looks good Dan.
              Although my personal opinion is, that Xeon and Quadro is a waste off money. I just can't find any good argument for spending double the money, and getting roughly the same performance as an i7..
              Anyway, congratulation with the new, hope it will do you good..
              Agreed 100%

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
              Not to pile on Dan :hide:, but I suspect I would have gone for the i7, standard RAM, a GeForce GTX 580 and added a nice SSD boot drive. Oh, who am I kidding. I would have gotten another iMac!
              All that said, that is gonna be a screamer machine compared to what you had.

Gordon
              i7s rock the casba

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
              See, therein lies the problem. I told my IT guy I wanted an i7, to which he replied Dell doesn't offer them in a workstation. I thought that was odd, but whatever. It beats my old Pentium Core 2 duo, 2.6 (i think) with 8G ram. And lots of issues. :laugh:

This rig was already assembled, too. Which is why they got it. Otherwise, I would have been down for 2 weeks instead of a few days.
              I would of waited 2 weeks... We have cloud machines here that are dual Xeon E5640 with 48GB RAM installed. my i7 at home spanks them. The ECC ram is kinda also pointless IMO why would we need Error cheching ram? This is server stuff. And the quadro card... twice the price for less preformance... I dont get it.
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

You must not get beat up enough at home, Dan. I like your ability to post here all of your bad decisions :laugh:

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post

The problem is, your IT guy is still convinced he needs "workstation class" for Revit use, which very much isnt the case. Were buying Consumer Grade with i5/i7's, and theyre fantastic.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Odd....the i7's are only available on the XPS and Optiplex line...But they have i3 and i5 available as "Workstation" level...

I am so glad we got an IT guy that knows how to build computers...not tied to what "Dell" thinks you should have.

Remember that guy "Dude, You're getting a Dell!" and its like yay! Today its "Dude, You're getting a Dell!" NOOOOOOOOO!
                    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment