Best Revit Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Revit Machine

There's a lot of threads about good budget laptops and such.

Here's my question. What would the best manufacturer be for a bad a$$ Revit machine? HP Z workstation, Dell, Something else? I'm not worried about price, just performance. I want it to scream, be a desktop, and have at least 3 monitors, maybe 4.

I know very little about hardware. I read IRU69's thread and it's super informative. But where's the best place to get all this stuff? I really don't want to build one. I want support and warranties.

Oh yeah, I have the building suite, so I'll be rendering as well. Plus whatever else comes along. So it needs to be a beast!
    Dan

I know a guy who builds awesome Revit machines! Here's a pic of his last budget build:

https://picasaweb.google.com/rkitecs...eat=directlink

Any guesses on the price?
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

mmmm....my guess would be around $550 - $650 looks like a good budget machine. From what I can see, I think most of the parts are at the lower or mid range end of specs these days - case is nice though and reasonable video card.
      Ian Kidston
      http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post

Here's my question. What would the best manufacturer be for a bad a$$ Revit machine? HP Z workstation, Dell, Something else? I'm not worried about price, just performance. I want it to scream, be a desktop, and have at least 3 monitors, maybe 4.

I know very little about hardware. I read IRU69's thread and it's super informative. But where's the best place to get all this stuff? I really don't want to build one. I want support and warranties.

Oh yeah, I have the building suite, so I'll be rendering as well. Plus whatever else comes along. So it needs to be a beast!

NewEgg.com....I don't even bother to look anywhere else for parts anymore.
        Always prefer to build my own. The parts are warranted, and I like knowing what's inside.
        "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
        Both are equally terrifying."
        - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post

I`m in the same situation. But i will wait till January-March period. Intel and Nvidia will change the fabrication process (22nm and 28nm). It will be a big step in speed.

For CPU will be Ivy bridge(at least 20% faster that already so fast Sandy Bridge).
          For GPU will be Not just an anual normal step. It will be a new different architecture that will be 300%-400% faster than the curent Fermi generation.

So if you want with the same money to have a real advanced hardware preapared for the next generation of revit, forget this ideea for the next 6 mounths.

Or at least take a powerfull system now with a videocard that is fast and cheap (560TI) and put the next Kepler video card next year near your existent card.
          gaby424
          Last edited by gaby424; September 10, 2011, 10:14 AM.

Comment

About your question
            The best manufacturer is you
            It`s more important for an amount of money to choose what are the ingredients inside the beast.

If money aren`t a problem than for Revit will be something like that:

-Sandy Bridge 4 core i7 2600k (better for revit viewport working than 6 core Gulftown because Revit use 1 core in the most part and per core Sandy Bridge is faster than Gulftown, also more overclockcable). You realy need to overclock this guy from 3.4ghz to 4.7ghz.

-for motherbord P8P67_WS_Revolution (cheap and powerfull). You can have up to 3 videocards in sli for gaming or 4 videocards for GPU rendering engines like Iray from 3d Max. Of course water cooled.
            http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...WS_Revolution/

-a video card with at least 3GB of ram (for multimple monitors). Like 580 3GB water cooled
            http://www.evga.com/products/moreInf...s%20Family&sw=
            you can buy more than one (4 maximum) if you will use Iray from max when rendering. If not, 1 is sufficient for revit(revit & 3d max main aplication doesn`t use a second card)

-a 1500W Silverstone PSU (if you have more videocards, if not 1000W will be safe)

-The fastest hardisk (solid)

-Lot of fastest RAM

Comment

A great way to see what hardware does to Revit is to go browse around in the benchmark threads. I saw some great examples of people with same specs as my work machine, but faster ram that were putting out really impressive performance increases to what I was benchmarking at.
              .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.Kidston View Post
                mmmm....my guess would be around $550 - $650 looks like a good budget machine.
                If I were to build this same machine today, yes, those numbers would be spot on. Here's the specs and prices from a little over 18 months ago:

1 x ($19.99) DVD BURNER LITE-ON | IHAS124-04 % - OEM
                $19.99

1 x ($79.99) MB GIGABYTE|GA-770T-USB3 AM3 RT
                $79.99

1 x ($19.99) FLDRV 2G|KST KR-U212G-2EAJQ RT
                $19.99

1 x ($49.99) CASE ROSEWILL|CHALLENGER RT
                $49.99

1 x ($69.99) VGA XFX HD-467X-ZDF2 HD4670 1G DDR2
                $69.99

1 x ($59.99) PSU ANTEC|430W EA-430D GREEN RT
                $59.99

1 x ($191.99) MEM 2Gx4|KST KHX6400D2LLK4/8G R
                $191.99

1 x ($99.00) CPU AMD|ATH II X4 635 AM3 RT
                $99.00

1 x ($87.99) HD 1T|WD 7K 32M SATA2 WD1001FALS % - OEM
                $87.99

1 x ($99.99) WIN HOME PREM 7 64-BIT ENG 1PK DSP - OEM
                $99.00

Sub Total
                $777.92

The only time I've had to provide support on it is after he ended up with the RevitCity.com virus. Fortunately I had a rotating backup and ghost image setup. So all I had to do was tell him to put his recovery disc in
                rkitect
                Last edited by rkitect; September 10, 2011, 02:21 PM.

Comment

So I guess I won't get a "buy a Dell so and so and you're all set" sort of answer. :laugh:

I wouldn't know how to build a machine. I'd like to try, but can't risk screwing something up. I probably won't be getting anything until next year anyway.
                  Dan

Comment

Hi Dan, I would likely recommend an HP or Dell workstation if you want next-day on-site support. When you're ready to purchase, let us know what your budget is, and someone here will make some recommendations. There's really no point in making recommendations now (except for "fun") if the purchase is months from now, or there's no established budget.

Comment