New Revit Machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Revit Machine

I am in the process of building the new Revit machine, to replace my old aging Core2Quad.

Base machine up and running, Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

Motherboard: Asus P8H67-M
    CPU: Intel Sandybridge Core i7 2600 3.4 Ghz
    Ram: 16Gb Kingston Value Ram (16GB for the price of 12Gb Crucial)
    Hard Drive: 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata III (will be paired with second drive for raid 1)
    Graphics: Still using Quadro FX 1700 (will replace with 2No. Geforce GTX 560 cards for Cuda rendering)
    Microatx case, will need to replace power supply for new graphic cards.

So far Motherboard, CPU, Ram, Hard drive & Case have cost £400, But will need to spend same again on the rest.

Can not believe the performance increase so far, can't wait for the new graphics cards.

Cadman56

Didn't go with the 2600k eh? So are you going to run the GTX cards in SLI or just multiple monitors? (yeah, I really want to know if SLI really helps Revit or not...lots of folk say overkill...huh iru69...lol)

Only thing that bothers me is how many folk are going with Home Edition.....are you not running on a network? I have always used Pro or Ultimate....
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Didn't need the OC features, not a gamer. The 2 cards are not going to run SLI, Cuda based renderers just see multiple cards. This is a home machine, 1 of 5 on a windows workgroup. So not using server. Home Premium is fine for me.

Cadman56

Comment

I'd opt for a solid state disk for running the pc and programs, and use the normal harddrive for storage. Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? Yes, every buck. Gave a massive performance boost in my case (120 GB OCZ Vertex 2).
        Arjan Ikink, BIM-engineer at PHB Deventer
        LinkedIn

Comment

Cadman,
          for what it is worth, Revit is more constrained by CPU speed than anything else, so an over clocked machine will be noticeably faster for day in, day out Revit use. Much more so than upgrades to the hard drive or graphics card will show. And RAM will have no performance impact, being purely a stability constraint.
          As for SLI, I suspect Revit will be unaffected, as SLI is mainly about moving graphics with texture mapping, and Revit in Realistic view is going to use only a small portion of a single, rather low power card. So having two really high end cards is unlikely to make any difference at all.

Gordon
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

buy a 560ti instead 560. has more cuda cores activated. Also maybe you can change the 2600 with the k version. It is the cheepest way to increase your revit speed

Comment

I would not choose the H67 version. I'd rather go for the P67 versions of that ASUS MB. Also consider the K version plus a SSD drive.
              Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional

Comment

The only draw back that I see is the seagate HDD, I tend to stay far away from Seagate, they are the only drives I have ever had crash...WD all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
                  The only draw back that I see is the seagate HDD, I tend to stay far away from Seagate, they are the only drives I have ever had crash...WD all the way.
                  I crash them all, Seagate, WD, doesn't matter to me.
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Tried a 15KRPM SAS drive lately?
                    Cliff B. Collins
                    Registered Architect
                    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment