New laptop to run RAC 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop to run RAC 2012?

OK, I'm retiring my old Dell M6300 with XP and am going to roll into a new laptop. I've had a change of work schedule for the next few weeks and need to be able to travel and get my work done. Win 7 Pro, lots of RAM, big hard drive, not much worry about cost (within some reasonable limits).

Suggestions?
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

15" MacBook Pro. No question. Keep your old monitor around, because dual screen on a Mac actually fails to suck.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Dave,

Screen size preference? ~15" or ~17". Is weight a big factor?

I like Gordon's suggestion, but I'd like to suggest an alternative or two if you decide you don't want to go the Mac route.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
        15" MacBook Pro. No question. Keep your old monitor around, because dual screen on a Mac actually fails to suck.

Gordon
        thanks Gordon, but no Mac for this dude!

Comment

Originally posted by iru69 View Post
          Dave,

Screen size preference? ~15" or ~17". Is weight a big factor?

I like Gordon's suggestion, but I'd like to suggest an alternative or two if you decide you don't want to go the Mac route.
          as long as it fits in my Tahoe I'm cool (I'll be traveling back and forth from home office to bay area (4 hour drive)). Biggest screen possible, weight's not a factor.

Comment

HP 8740 workstation, i7 inside with a lot of Ram- 16Gb. professionnal use for me. works great but a bit expensive I guess.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...9-4138087.html
            Julien
            "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
            P. DAC
            Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Have been running a Dell M6400 Precision Laptop (quad core CPU with 8Gb RAM and 7200rpm drive) for nearly three years and looking to go to a M6600 later this year with an i7 CPU, 16Gb RAM, a solid state FDD, a 7200 rpm storage drive (the system has RAID support) and a Quadro 4000M with 17" Multi-Touch w/Stylus screen. The M6400 runs Revit very well under Windows 7 64. There have been a few issues with some faulty memory and the keyboard has been replaced under the three year next business day support provided by Dell. I have been really happy with it and will continue with Dell.
              Last edited by kta; July 30, 2011, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Dave, here are some suggestions to look at (these aren't "recommendations" in that I haven't personally used them, only based on hardware spec criteria for a 17" Revit laptop):

HP Pavilion dv7t 17" (or dv7t Quad Edition 17")
                HP Envy 17
                HP EliteBook Mobile Workstation 17"

Dell XPS 17
                Dell Precision M6600 (17")

On all of these, I'd mostly be looking at one of two CPU options
                i7-2820QM - 2.3GHz quad core (3.4GHz TurboBoost) - I like quad cores, they plow through everything (including renderings), but...
                i7-2620M - 2.7GHz dual core (3.6GHz TurboBoost) - for most Revit specific tasks, this will actually be a slightly faster chip.

The "workstation" class laptops (Precision and Elitebook) are generally a whole another level of spendy. The big "feature" on them is the "workstation" graphics (FirePro or Quadro). They're not necessarily any "faster", but some insist on it for CAD, and it might be slightly less "risky" as far as video card compatibility.

I'd suggest checking all those out. All these have 17"+ screens, big hard drives, etc. To narrow it down, these are things I'd be paying attention to:
                Preference for HP or Dell?
                Some are only available through "Home/Home Office" unit - is that an issue?
                Screen preference (LED, anti-glare, glossy screen considerations)?
                Radeon vs. Geforce vs. FirePro vs. Quadro?
                Is quad core a priority?
                USB 3.0?
                Aesthetics?

Other brands I don't think are worth considering for what you're looking for:
                Acer, their Aspire Ethos is kind of cool with big 18" screen, but the CPU is weak.
                Sony, very slick, but the same old problem that's always plagued their laptops - weak video card.
                Toshiba, nice video card, but weak CPU.
                Lenovo, I don't see a competitive 17" laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by iru69 View Post
                  Dave, here are some suggestions to look at (these aren't "recommendations" in that I haven't personally used them, only based on hardware spec criteria for a 17" Revit laptop):

HP Pavilion dv7t 17" (or dv7t Quad Edition 17")
                  this is what I've ordered:
                  HP Pavilion dv7t Quad Edition Notebook PC, 2nd generation Intel Quad Core i7-2820QM 2.3 GHz, 17.3" HD HP LED BrightView Widescreen, 8GB Memory, 660GB Dual Hard Drive (SSD 160GB + 500GB), 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 6490M Graphics, Blu-ray writer & SuperMulti DVD burner, Fingerprint Reader, Bluetooth, Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

$800US cheaper than the Dell M6600 that I was also looking at. Now back to work to pay for it

Comment

Wow, you didn't waste any time! I kind of figured we'd discuss the specifics a little bit first. ;-)

Actually, that looks like a great system, except for I would have really pushed the 1GB Radeon HD 6770M over the 6490M, which is a rather weak GPU. If you don't use a lot of shadows, ambient light effects, realistic view type graphics, then maybe it's not a big loss. However, if you can change the order, I would recommend doing so.

Also, keep in mind that unless you know someone who has tested a specific GPU out, there's no way to know whether Revit will have any compatibility issues with Graphic Hardware Acceleration on.

Best of luck with the new computer!
                    Last edited by iru69; July 30, 2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment