Mac Mini vs Mac Mini Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Mini vs Mac Mini Server

I am going to purchase a new Mac Mini (I need the portability of a laptop, but I am on a tight budget. I already have large monitors at home and work).

The questions is, which one?

I will run AutoCAD 2011 and Revit 2011 via 64 bit Windows 7 thru Parallels thru Lion.

The two flavors under consideration are:
    • Mac MINI: 2.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 with 4 gigs ram and AMD Radeon HD 6630M GPU (better graphics card)
    • Mac MINI Server: 2.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 with 4 gigs ram Intel HD Graphics 3000 GPU (better CPU)

It really comes down to which is better: the quad core processor of the server or the better graphics GPU of the mini.

Any advice is appreciated.

Welcome to the forums aikitect!

It's actually no contest... between the two, get the Mac Mini with 2.7 GHz and the 6630M GPU. It's both a faster CPU (for general Revit use) and a faster GPU. (you might want to read my hardware sticky on CPUs)

That being said, this is not an ideal computer for Revit on a Mac via Parallels. Also, you absolutely need to get more than 4 GB of RAM if you want to run Revit 2012 via Parallels.

Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will definitely bump up the ram to 8 megs.

I have some hesitation now because I would like to have a portable monitor in case I need to use the mini on the go - if I find something reasonably priced then I will get the mini. In a perfect world I would get a 15" MacPro, but the cost is a bit much for me to swallow right now. On the other hand, no sense getting a mini if it will not work for me needs, even if it is 1/2 the price.

Comment