Low budget Revit machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low budget Revit machine

Hey, Im new to this forum and dont know a thing about Revit.
    My sister needs a PC to run Revit nothing else. Shes on a buget but want to run small to mediumish projects. Here is the setup i put together:

PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/23VN7P
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/23VN7P/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£38.17 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£40.81 @ CCL Computers)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.23 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Zalman ZM-T4 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£13.98 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£41.28 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £329.41

I live in the UK, but I am fairly new here so dont really know any shops if anyone got any better ideas then PCPartPicker let me know.

Future upgrades are likely hence no video card, no ssd, only 8gigs of ram.

I read that the video card is not used by Revit only if you use addons which my sister dont, but she is only learning Revit at the moment so I think the best option is to go without a video card for now and let the integrated GPU do the work.

On SSD front: How much speed do we lose on not having one? The plane would be to get one later, but if its a real draw back then i guess I have to reconfig the setup.

The budget is around 300£, any advice is well appreciated.
    This is a great site btw, helped a lot already.

Don't know where you heard about the video card, but thats wrong. You need a pretty good one to be able to edit stuff in 3D.
    So a pretty good gaming card I would recommend (Nvidia GTX 970 or so) but that alone is over budget.

To be honest I would add a 1 in front of your budget.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; May 18, 2015, 11:44 AM.
    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

"Revit does not use the video card to process renderings. It's entirely based on the CPU (and available system RAM). "
      "Hey, Im new to this forum and dont know a thing about Revit."
      I hope I explained my self.

So I should really get a video card. Enlighten me hows this works with Revit then. I tought its depends like 70% on the CPU. Is it even realistic to put together a low buget machine then? Assuming its for only small projects.

Comment

Ah yes it does not use the videocard for rendering, that is correct, it does however use it for all other work you do in 3D, like orbiting around your model etc.
        I have a Quadro 2000 in my machine and with medium models I already notice that things get slow.
        Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
        Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

Revit and video cards is sort of like people breathing oxygen: you need enough of it to get by, but having surplus doesn't help you a whole lot in the minute to minute feel.

You certainly don't need a high end card, but you'll want more than Intel integrated graphics. Our cheaper workstations have. 1gb ATI card, and they function in some pretty serious models.

I would also go lower end gtx over quadro, given the choice.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment