Dual monitor support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual monitor support

Revit 2012 has better dual monitor capabilities. How does one activate this?

Ok it doesn't. I was mislead into believing it did. Oh well.

Comment

Control stuff has changed behind the scenes which MAY lead to better dual monitor control in Revit at some point in the future. In the meanwhile you can use the Autohotkey script I wrote a few years back and modify it to your needs.

It can be found at: http://revitforum.org/showthread.php...onitor-Control
      Ian Kidston
      http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Yeah I say that. except that is shows an error when I try to extract it from the zip. I have installed the hot key app.

Comment

Mmmm - I will check the zip file. In the meantime, I will PM the code to you.

Edit:

Just downloaded the zip file and it works perfectly for me. WinZip 15.5
          Ian Kidston

Comment

Thanks for sending that through Ian. yeah not sure why the code wasn't in the thread. Maybe my anit-virus was blocking it. Anyway this looks really helpful. When I have some time I'll definitely fire it up.
            cheers.

Comment

Racking my brain trying to get this to work but getting no where. I have loaded the Autohotkey program and can get the "control F1" to work ok but the views will not move or re-size. Anybody had any luck with this?

Thanks for any help!
              Dron

Comment

Hi Dron,

Apologies for not getting back to your PM - tied up with some tribunal matters here.

The controls work fine for me.

For Plans, Elevations, Sections etc which will load onto the left hand screen, the shortcut keys are "crtl+shift+z" that is, hold down the control and shift keys then hit the letter z. Similarly, for 3d views, the shortcut keys are "Crtl+shift+s"

One small trick is that the view must not be in a Windows full screen view but rather in the restore down view (the toggle button in between the minimise and close buttons in the top right hand corner of the view). If it is set to full screen toggle it to restore down. The script is running a Windows command and it can't fight against another windows command which sets the view to be "full screen"

I had set the control keys up this was to ensure that they are nothing like any of the shortcut keys I use in Revit or elsewhere. I also use a Logitech G15 keyboard with programmable keys and have programmed three keys to run the command as a macro. Thus, for me to activate the command I simply push one key and off it goes.

It may well be that these shortcut keys don't suit you, in which case you can change them to whatever suits your needs.

As some people have reported problems with the zip file (although it works ok for me), below is the autohotkey code.

SetTitleMatchMode, 2

^F1:: ; F1 was used for demonstration purposes only. Choose a custom hotkey of your liking.

WinMove, Revit,,0,0, 3350, 1050

Return ; Stops the script from automatically executing further hotkey(s).

^+z::
                ControlGet, ctrlH, HWND,, Elevation, Revit
                WinMove, ahk_id %ctrlH%,, 0, 0 [,1370,950 ]
                Send, zf

ControlGet, ctrlH, HWND,, Floor Plan, Revit
                Send, zf

ControlGet, ctrlH, HWND,, Section, Revit
                Send, zf

ControlGet, ctrlH, HWND,, Ceiling Plan, Revit
                Send, zf

ControlGet, ctrlH, HWND,, Sheet, Revit
                Send, zf

Return

^+s::

ControlGet, ctrlH, HWND,, 3D View, Revit
                WinMove, ahk_id %ctrlH%,, 1370, 0 [,1665,950 ]
                Send, zf
                return

Further info:

Just noticed that you are running MEP. I had never previously tested it on MEP, but have just done so using MEP 2012, everything works as expected.
                Last edited by Ian.Kidston; June 29, 2011, 11:22 PM. Reason: Further info
                Ian Kidston

Comment

Still trying to get this to work

Ian, Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like there is a lot going on down under.

I have attached a screen shot of my Revit left monitor with the Winspy showing the details. Thought you might be able to tell if something looked out of place causing the script not to work. I am using Win7 x64 with Revit MEP 10, 11 and 12. This particular image is of Revit MEP 10.

I'll get a promotion if I can get this working.

thanks,
                  Dron
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Dron View Post
                    Ian, Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds like there is a lot going on down under.

I have attached a screen shot of my Revit left monitor with the Winspy showing the details. Thought you might be able to tell if something looked out of place causing the script not to work. I am using Win7 x64 with Revit MEP 10, 11 and 12. This particular image is of Revit MEP 10.

I'll get a promotion if I can get this working.

thanks,
                    Dron
                    Interesting, I am running a pretty much identical system to you. Win7 64Bit.

Looking at the screen shot, it would seem to me that it may not be recognizing your version of Revit MEP and thus being unable to gain control.

The first thing I would try is to jump into windows explorer and find the exact name of the .exe file for Revit MEP. If for example it is Revit MEP 2010.exe, I would change the control line to read:

WinMove, Revit MEP 2010,,0,0, 3350, 1050

Once it has control, everything else follows from that.

Hope it works,
                    Ian Kidston

Comment