From Excel to Revit Drafting view

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Excel to Revit Drafting view

Hello guys. I hope you can help. I am still learning Basics in Dynamo and Tasks in my Company are getting tougher and tougher.

I have some data in Excel from People outside of my Company. That list gets updated from time to time. It contains some text Information that i want to Show on my Sheet. Intention is that I do not need to owertype this info every time.

My idea was to link this Excel file to drafting view in Revit where it would be written just by ordinary text command under Annotation tab. Is it possible? If not, do you guys have any other idea or a way to make this automatic??

Thanks a lot!!!

UPDATE: Maybe writing it on a Legend is better idea??
    Last edited by disperadun; December 15, 2016, 08:02 AM.

I would suggest you either make the text a shared Sheet parameter which is shown in your title blocks. Or as a parameter in a detail item, which shows whatever text is filled in (Which you place either in a drafting view or on the sheet itself).
    Then it is really easy to get either all the sheets or all the detail items in the project. Filter for the ones that correspond to the excel text (By sheet number?). Read the text from excel then write into the parameter.

Hope that helps you get started
    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Seems doable
      2016-12-15_16-34-23.png

Comment

Seems doable
        2016-12-15_16-34-23.png

Comment

Yes. But surely using a family with parameters that you can schedule is more manageable than just text boxes?
          "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

RF Tools has a feature: Draft XL which dynamically/live links between an excel document and a drafting view. It even converts the lines!

Originally posted by disperadun View Post
            Hello guys. I hope you can help. I am still learning Basics in Dynamo and Tasks in my Company are getting tougher and tougher.

I have some data in Excel from People outside of my Company. That list gets updated from time to time. It contains some text Information that i want to Show on my Sheet. Intention is that I do not need to owertype this info every time.

My idea was to link this Excel file to drafting view in Revit where it would be written just by ordinary text command under Annotation tab. Is it possible? If not, do you guys have any other idea or a way to make this automatic??

Thanks a lot!!!

UPDATE: Maybe writing it on a Legend is better idea??

Comment

HI,

I tried the dynamo but im getting the text as single text one above the another, is it able to insert it as a table.
              Dhilip Seshan
              +91 8124181665
              www.dhilipseshan.n.nu

Comment

I think the Dynamo graph gets you pretty close, but each element needs its own set of X,Y coordinates which is why they are overlapping. It would get more complicated, though because you would need to calculate the length and height of each cell to offset the text in order for it to appear like it does on the spreadsheet.

Some time ago, I was developing an add-in that converts the range on a spreadsheet to an image and links the image in. I stopped developing it some time ago, though so I can't remember if it actually works as intended. I suppose if there was some interest I can try to find some time to get a release out.
                BIM Extension, LLC
                bimextension.com | @bimextension

OpenRFA.org | Collaborative master shared parameters for Revit.

Autodesk Revit MEP Certified Professional | Autodesk Developer Network Member

Comment

If you do not need to see the annotation family / element itself, you can use a note block schedule to report the values from a GA family. Use Dynamo, Excel, a custom GA family, and maybe a drafting view to hold all the instances. Make the GA a fixed, known dimension, and you can have dynamo place them in the view as well. The size and format of your schedule / "table" isn't dependent on the family instances this way.

Deadlines had shifted my attention away from the graph below, but I *think* it's working (once you pick your GA family, target view, and xlsx).
                  Attached Files
                  Chris Ellersick

Comment

Nice.
                    I think theres a lot of potential with using GAs to store/show data with Dynamo.
                    Not only to show it in a note block schedule, but also graphically in the GA itself.
                    I was thinking about making a set of parametric GA's to show info as Bar/Pie/Scatter charts and this method would be great for adding the data.

Comment