IFC GUID to Revit ID and vice verca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFC GUID to Revit ID and vice verca

Revits unique and IFC GUID is two different IDs.
    After what I understand the IFC guide is shorter to minimize the lenght and thereby size. It is a "forumla/function" for this convertion.

I have two questions:
    1. Is IFC GUID something that can be exctracted directly, or do I need to first get the Revit ID and convert it?
    2. Is there a node for this? Has anyone made something for this?

IFC GUID is generated when you create the IFC.
    Here's a guide on it's implementation IFC GUID Summary ? Welcome to buildingSMART-Tech.org

I wnder if you could generate it using Dynamo THEN it would appear in the IFC file

Comment

IFC GUID is generated when you create the IFC.
      Here's a guide on it's implementation IFC GUID Summary ? Welcome to buildingSMART-Tech.org

I wnder if you could generate it using Dynamo THEN it would appear in the IFC file

Comment

Yes i know it gets generated when exporting. And the same element gets the same IFC GUID for each export.

I don't want to generate IFC GUID with Dynamo, but the go the opposite way. Not from REvit unique to IFC GUID, but from IFC GUID to Revit unique

Comment

Open the IFC and export to Excel the Revit GUID and the IFC GUID.
          Create a parameter in Revit to push the corresponding value in each family.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand what you mean Daniel.
            But I can offcource first copy the Revit GUID to a parameter, before I export to IFC. But thats not the workflow I want.

Comment

Assuming that you cannot get an IFC GUID before you create the IFC file how do you plan on getting it into Revit?

If you want to write your own IFC GUID(without creating an IFC) then it's simply a matter of writing it to a parameter in Revit. Not sure how this will work out when exported though.

If you export and get the IFC GUID then you need something to get it back in Revit. You get a list of all the elements with both parameters and then you push the IFC GUID based on the REvit GUID.

Am missing something?

Comment

Assuming that you cannot get an IFC GUID before you create the IFC file how do you plan on getting it into Revit?

If you want to write your own IFC GUID(without creating an IFC) then it's simply a matter of writing it to a parameter in Revit. Not sure how this will work out when exported though.

If you export and get the IFC GUID then you need something to get it back in Revit. You get a list of all the elements with both parameters and then you push the IFC GUID based on the REvit GUID.

Am missing something?

Comment

Hi Rune, an IFC GlobalID is simply a formatting of a typical GUID.
                  The Building Coder: IFC GUID Algorithm in C#

But for some reason I don't understand, a GUID wasn't sufficient for Revit so they use some sort of hash with a GUID and an element ID (I don't know the algorithm) so calculating this might not be possible. Refer
                  The Building Coder: UniqueId, DWF and IFC GUID

I haven't checked in recent Revit releases, but the builtin parameter the IFC guid is stored on didn't seem to be able to set by other plugins.

Cheers,

Jon

Comment

Why not exporting to IFC and then importing this file into Revit?

Comment