Excel Bi-Directional links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excel Bi-Directional links

I am trialing out an excel bi-directional add in but I am having issues with the way it reports parameters

I have a shared parameter that is an ID to be able to sort.
    Its an instance parameter and it is just numbers, but for some reason the export of it is locked out, non modifiable, and not at all visible. This makes sorting the list impossible, and as there are more than 1000 elements to modify and check, this task is just unfeasable using this method.

Is anyone else using excel in a bi-directional manner with any success, and which add in are you using to do it?

I am trialing BIMONE.COM excel export/import addin, but well...if it can't let me sort its kind of pointless.

Try the Diroots SheetLink plugin (https://diroots.com/plugins/sheetlink-revit-to-excel/)

Comment

Thanks Nurlan, this actually is much nicer than the BIM One app it also lets me export loads of other information and not just schedules.

Also this has the same "read only" lockouts of the data but I can see the data in the list. The problem was that BIM One locked the data out and did not display the data (actually the data in the read only columns is "null")

The DiRoots link still displays the data - and this is exactly what I wanted. Cheers - I recommend this diroots app to try out if you want to push/pull data to excel. I need to do some further testing but it looks very promising.

Comment

From recollection, the locked-out cells in the BIMOne exports are non-modifable fields integral to Revit (that is, the ElementID) and you really wouldn't want to be messing with them anyhow - whereas it's carte blanche on your own Shared Parameters.

That said, if DiRoots does what you need, no biggy (I've yet to play with it myself)

Comment

That is how I thought it should be also Snowy, BUT - it was not the case.

The field that it was showing as "null" or essentially a non-editable field was actually a shared parameter. That is why I was a bit lost, it is actually just numbers that the user puts in and I chose to use a shared parameter instead of the identifier included in the parameters normally. It should be a modifiable parameter but for some reason it has made it non modifiable. But also in doing so it blanked out the field. I would not mind if it was non modifiable but visible, but it actually wipes it out which meant that I can not use it for sorting. As it is the primary identifier for the family (and all sub elements also have the same identifier) then it was actually the most important sorting field I had (come to think of it, the only sorting field that was useful) and so it just made the excel output using BIMOne useless (in this case).

DiRoots still makes it a read only parameter BUT it shows the field, and I can therefore use it for sorting the list.

DiRoots is also giving me the option to export
          Model Categories
          Annotation Categories
          Elements
          Schedules

And to filter by discipline and other neat options that BIM One does not have.
          I recommend taking a look at the DiRoots one, it is actually more in depth than the BIMOne app and the coloring it puts into the excel is "nicer" (although that is a subjective opinion)
          Last edited by Karalon10; November 4, 2020, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalon10 View Post
            Thanks Nurlan, this actually is much nicer than the BIM One app it also lets me export loads of other information and not just schedules.
            Glad you like it. Don't forget to donate if you use it! By the way, if you come across a bug, send them a report. So far, they have been fixing bugs pretty quickly and releasing an updated version.

Comment

We have a lot of Shared Parameters that are Instance Parameters in some families, and Type Parameters in other families (same parameter). Some of the Excel Exporter/Importers trip up on that one, and dont let you edit the parameters.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I cant be sure on the source but it looks initially as though instance parameters that belong to nested objects in my family are considered non-editable - even though I can click on that object in the model and modify it by hand in a the instance parameter or even in the schedule itself, in the excel export it is showing as a non-editable.

However this is not a deal breaker in this particular case at least. The main thing that I want to be able to edit is a project shared parameter that has been associated to every object in the project (a phase parameter) (not the native revit phase though) and this is thankfully editable.

So in short it seems like project shared parameters work, but shared parameters that belong to families do not.
                Last edited by Karalon10; November 4, 2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karalon10 View Post
                  I cant be sure on the source but it looks initially as though instance parameters that belong to nested objects in my family are considered non-editable - even though I can click on that object in the model and modify it by hand in a the instance parameter or even in the schedule itself, in the excel export it is showing as a non-editable.
                  You can only do that for special Built-In parameters like Mark and Comments, or PROJECT Parameters (instance) (which can be Shared, but are loaded in to the Project File) added to the items through the "add this parameter to all items in category" when the Project Parameter is created. If its an Instance parameter thats actually in the RFA, and that RFA is nested in to another object, you 100% cannot edit it in the project. It would have to be "passed through" a parameter in the Parent Family.

A Shared Nested Families TYPE parameters, you can edit.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    You can only do that for special Built-In parameters like Mark and Comments, or PROJECT Parameters (instance) (which can be Shared, but are loaded in to the Project File) added to the items through the "add this parameter to all items in category" when the Project Parameter is created. If its an Instance parameter thats actually in the RFA, and that RFA is nested in to another object, you 100% cannot edit it in the project. It would have to be "passed through" a parameter in the Parent Family.

A Shared Nested Families TYPE parameters, you can edit.
                    Ok good to know. By shared do you mean when I check that little box in the family itself to make it "shared"? Or the parameter itself is a shared parameter within the family? Now that I re-read this, I see you mean the type properties of the shared nested component... yes this seems to be the case

I had a chat with an old colleague last night regarding this problem, and he suggested that I could also just make a project parameter and have it set to = the shared parameter that doesnt want to be editable....would that also work?
                    Last edited by Karalon10; November 5, 2020, 07:52 AM.

Comment