Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navisworks Selection Sets and Appearance Profiler

Hi all,

I would really appreciate it if someone can advise me on how to apply my default colour scheme from the Appearance Profiler to updated/revised Naviswork files we receive from our consultant.

When we receive the Naviswork file from our consultant, it shows all the services as monochrome. Please see attached screen capture "monochrome".
    From this Navisworks file, I created selection sets for all the different system types and applied a colour scheme in Appearance Profiler which I then send out to our engineers. Please see attached screen capture "colour".

When we receive an updated Naviswork file from the consultant, my selection sets won't import from the previous model and I can't apply the colour scheme from the Appearance Profiler unless I create new selections sets from scratch.
    This is quite a time-consuming procedure therefore I hope there is a quick workaround someone can advise me with.

I can load my Appearance Profiler DAT file to the revised Naviswork model but the Selection Sets XML files won't import at all.
    When I edit the Selection Set XML file that I export, it basically just shows the headers with no information. Please see attached snapshot of the XML file.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Johan
    Attached Files

Instead of Selection Sets, utilize Search Filters along with Appearance Profiler. Search Filters use search criteria rather than pre-existing selected objects, so any updates will be consumed within the Search Filter, which automatically preps the models for the Appearance Profiler.

As far as your XML exports/imports should go, double check the method you're performing. Everything works fine on my end, daily. What are the exact steps you're doing? Maybe we can help you work down to your problem.
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Hi Tannar and thank you for your reply.

I have attached a screenshot of the steps I take to export and import the XML file. Please see attached screenshot "Sets".
      Within "Sets", I select all my sets then click on Export Search Sets to a XML file.
      When I edit the XML file, hardly any information is included in the file. Please see attached screenshot "XML file".

I also tried exporting the selections within the "Find Items" tab but upon clicking export to save the XML file, I get a message "There is nothing to export". Please see attached screenshot "Search Sets".

I hope my steps above are clear, please let me know if you need any further details.

Regards,
      Johan
      Attached Files

Comment

You are using Selection Sets only. When you right click, notice is says "Export Search Sets". You need to mitigate Selection Sets to a bare minimum, using them mostly for temporary purposes.

I've uploaded a very quick-n-dirty project with one family in it, with a Selection Set and a Search Set. Notice the difference? Different Icon, and when Selected, go to the Find Items palette and you'll see the search criteria filled in. Now under Sets, Export and open the XML file and you'll see the info.

Hope this helps. There's some other Navis guru's here that will probably chime in eventually.
        Attached Files
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Take a look at this discussion on the same topic
          http://www.revitforum.org/coordinati...tml#post136755
          Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
          www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
          @Twitter

Comment

Tannar & Brian, a MASSIVE thank you to both of you :thumbsup:

I managed to create the Search Sets as per your instructions and exported them as templates.
            When I imported them into the revised Naviswork model, it worked perfectly.

Thank you guys, your help is much appreciated...!

Comment

Glad you got it figured out jverdoes.
              Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment