Navisworks' - Appearance Profiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navisworks' - Appearance Profiler

Can anyone provide a bit of advice on how to use the Appearance Profiler in Navisworks.

The workflow I have at the moment is to split my building into levels and then split the services into levels.

These are .NWC files. and I use Navisworks Manage to append all together.

When I'm looking on the Web at how to use the Appearance profiler, is says I can change appearance of items by property or by sets.

When I open my appearance profiler there is nothing in By Property and nothing in By Set to select from.

What am I not doing correct?

Domsib

Revit MEP - 1 Day at a time...

You first have to create your "Sets". They can be either Selection Sets or Search Sets. I will tell you now that Search Sets are the way to go. Once those are defined and saved, they'll be populated in the "By Set" tab in the Appearance Profiler. Also take note of the Refresh button.

If you keep things intuitive and defined to a Standard, you can Save these for future projects.
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Appearance Profiler is one of those things in Navis that I simply just can't help falling out with - for all of Revit's issues with (defining/managing) filters, at least when they're set (in VG or a VT), they're set - whereas Appearance Profiler (as I understand it*) demands to be re-ran, and (as I've found) re-defined each time (to colour elements) - and unless you're search sets are infinitely universal, have never found exporting them (and/or the Appearance Profiler definition) to make it worthwhile

*as such I gave up (in v2013) trying to incorporate it, but prompted by this thread may revisit it in v2015

Comment

You do have to "re-run" it. But as long as things are set correctly it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. Navisworks seems to be ran off a geometry and visualization engine that "loads" parameters rather than have a live engine that instantly produces any parameters or settings set in place. Maybe for performance reasons?

Either way, Appearance Profile gives all our jobs a consistency with little effort. It's great, actually.
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Thanks.

How do I create Search Sets? Is it something that needs to be done in Revit first before the NWC file is created? I checked online for this today and I found a lot of results for search sets being assigned to tasks for contractors and I gave up.

Ready to tackle this again tomorrow though.

Domsib

Comment

Navis Search Set is just like Filter in Revit, but existing filters from Revit model cannot be "exported" into Navis (hope i'm wrong), you just use Navis Find Items to specify conditions of search set and save it

Comment

You use the "Find Items" tool to define the search criteria, then you "Save Search" in the sets panel. Once these are created then you can export them out and import them in any file, assuming the search criteria remains constant. I have attached my search set .xml for import to match Revit categories (remove the .txt at the end needed for file upload to this site). I need to update it to have some of the new categories that have been added in the past few releases. Once you have searches set like this they can be used in pretty much any part of Navisworks, timeliner, clash detective, and of course appearance profiler.
              Attached Files
              Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
              www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
              @Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by domsib View Post
                How do I create Search Sets?
                The way I do it is this:
                1. Have Find Items, Sets, Properties and Appearance Profiler open.
                2. Click on an object and look at Properties. This helps you figure out the criteria to search for. This step is not required, but helps me a lot so you can skip this step if you feel comfortable enough in doing so. For instance, click on Duct and you'll notice the Item and Element tab on the Properties panel has tons of info you can use to Filter.
                3. Now go to Find Items, and fill in Category > Property > Condition > Value. So for instance, if I wanted to select only Supply Air components, then I'd fill in this criteria:
                  • Category > Element
                  • Property > System classification
                  • Condition > =
                  • Value > Supply Air

Now click "Find All" and it'll highlight all Supply Air components in the model. While this is selected, flip over to Sets and click the 2nd icon from the left with the binoculars which is the "Save Search" command and name it accordingly. Alternatively, the 1st icon is the "Save Selection" command which is good in instances where you ONLY want to save the selection, so any updates to your model will not add to this selection. Save Selection is based on search criteria so as your model progresses you'll ensure the selection is getting the additional geometry added.

Now this should populate in your Appearance Profiler once you refresh, allowing you to then save Color and Transparency settings, which you can then export to save at a later time.

Hope this helps. -TZ
                Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

I just found this video which I'll leave here for future reference which showed me what I needed to do.

The video showed me how to export a .dat file so I was able to create this file Ground Test.PNG and then load the .dat file straight into another floor and run it. Which gave me this file without having to set anything up again. 1st Test.PNG

So I guess if I set up the .dat file to be a company standard, it could be used on all projects to quickly give the same results.

Domsib

Comment

Good find domsib. That's the way to do it. I still prefer Saved Search Filters because they're more powerful in the end but that's definitely the straight forward way of doing it.
                    Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment