Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Navis - separate NWCs or Selection Sets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navis - separate NWCs or Selection Sets?

Just getting into using Navis for Clash detection and I'm hearing mixed preferences.
    Is it better to set up separate 3D Views/View Templates in the Revit model and export several different NWC files, or is it better to export one all-encompassing NWC from Revit and use Selection Searches to split up different systems?

I know, I know, "better for what?"

We are an Architecture-only firm, so we'll always be creating our own Model and Linking in MEP and Structural.
    We're planning on using this in coordination meetings to identify clashes early in the process when they can still be moved without too many repercussions.
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
    We are an Architecture-only firm
    As are we. I, personally, don't think "that" matters.

Are you assigned/appointed the role of "BIM Coordinator" or are you purely doing this as part of the project, in addition to services, to see how (if) it helps? Important questions I'd say.

If it's the former - you need to search out the solutions and answers to your questions sooner, rather than later, to get your team all signed up to providing .nwc content as you plan to use it - be that seperated or not.

If it's the latter, you've pretty much got carte blanche, I would suggest you give both a go... Some love splitting out their exports, doing the work in their authoring packages first, and keeping Navisworks to do what it does best (although it does selection sets better than Revit, so that's a moot argument IMVHO)

...but as a BIM Coordinator (role-assigned as part of my job) I would/do prefer single .nwc files to work with in Navisworks purely because I hate excessive file adnministration - and am quite happy to setup multi-tier/level selection set rules for my .nwf - and find it actually quite useful as a 3rd/4th/5th pass on QA checking to make sure elements are being given correct parameter assignments.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
      I would/do prefer single .nwc files to work with in Navisworks purely because I hate excessive file adnministration - and am quite happy to setup multi-tier/level selection set rules for my .nwf - and find it actually quite useful as a 3rd/4th/5th pass on QA checking to make sure elements are being given correct parameter assignments.
      revive this old thread as i'm currently searching the best practice for Revit Navisworks workflow:
      1) if using single .nwc, did you using "Divide File into Levels" when export Revit to Navisworks? i tried this method and then using Layer to do clashing but turned out missing lots of clashes, if not using "Divide File into Levels" when export Revit to Navisworks, then how do you set up multi-level selection set rules? seems there're multiple ways to filter level in Find Items, which one is the most appropriate way?
      2) if using per-level .nwc via Revit section box then it works most of time but sometimes a few elements acrossing multiple levels will be "divided" into 2, is it going to cause problem and how to solve this kind of issue?

Comment

did a quick test and seems i can answer to my own question: "Divide File into Levels" option is based on reference level so it cannot be used at all, using Revit section box seems the only way out if you want to have reliable per level result.

Comment