Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Alphabetize All Filters, in All View Templates, and Keep Overrides.

  1. #11
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,071
    Current Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Filters are hierarchal, so new ones added don't get placed in alphabetical order. But with a few exceptions I don't end up with multiple filters that affect the same objects. So listing them by hierarchy is stupid.

    Adding a new filter to 50 view templates in my project template, when there are already 46 filters per view template, mean having to click the "up" button literally 1500 times to get all the filters in to alphabetical order, which is the user experience most people expect to see, and like.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Im all for aphabetizing filters, but im struggling to understand why a VT would need 46 of them? What am i missing?
    snowyweston likes this.

  2. #12
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,347
    Current Local Time
    03:45 AM
    I dont know what you are missing, but each of the filters does something and we use them all. :Shrug:

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

  3. #13
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,071
    Current Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I dont know what you are missing, but each of the filters does something and we use them all. :Shrug:

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    i should probably take my own advice and ask a better question... What do you do with 46 filters? I probably don't understand how much ground you're covering but the most I use in any VT is about a dozen, mostly to turn off stuff I don't want to see. In my limited experience everything else is done in (mainly the model) tabs to override objects styles / sub categories.

  4. #14
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,347
    Current Local Time
    03:45 AM
    I use very few subcategories for things like that. All I really use subcategories for is different lineweights for object styles.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

  5. #15
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,071
    Current Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I use very few subcategories for things like that. All I really use subcategories for is different lineweights for object styles.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Ditto. And then only for families with significantly different functioning parts- like door panel/jamb.OS get me 95% of the way there. Filters for hiding working sections or isolating specific families/types etc. I dont see the need for filters to override graphics styles?

  6. #16
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    8,347
    Current Local Time
    03:45 AM
    Then don't use them?

    Filters in my template override:

    1. Fire rated elements (20 filters right there)

    2. Items relevant to specific consultants (plumbing vs electrical vs security etc)

    3. Different type of equipment (restroom, healthcare, ffe, office equipment​)

    4. Millwork overrides (I don't do symbolic garbage in my components)

    5. Clearance graphics overrides

    Combine all of those with all the filters that straight up turn stuff on and off, and I have lots of filters. And I love it.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    elton williams and amoursol like this.

  7. #17
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,071
    Current Local Time
    07:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Then don't use them?

    Filters in my template override:

    1. Fire rated elements (20 filters right there)

    2. Items relevant to specific consultants (plumbing vs electrical vs security etc)

    3. Different type of equipment (restroom, healthcare, ffe, office equipment​)

    4. Millwork overrides (I don't do symbolic garbage in my components)

    5. Clearance graphics overrides

    Combine all of those with all the filters that straight up turn stuff on and off, and I have lots of filters. And I love it.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Oh i use them, not criticising your use of them just asking why/how. With all the filtering stuff we can do with dynamo now im looking for better use cases.
    Should look at Artejon's filter manager addin too...

  8. #18
    Forum Addict GMcDowellJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,041
    Current Local Time
    02:45 AM
    Filters are more flexible than Subcategories for visibility.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 29th, 2016, 07:33 PM
  2. Templates : Placeholder Links + View Templates
    By snowyweston in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: February 8th, 2014, 10:15 AM
  3. Filters of VG overrides
    By domsib in forum MEP - General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 11th, 2013, 01:03 AM
  4. Saving V/G Overrides in every View?
    By tzframpton in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 18th, 2012, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •