Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: SPOT (w/ var)

  1. #1
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    4,343
    Current Local Time
    11:40 AM

    SPOT (w/ var)

    Isn't it wonderful when you go on the t'nternt and get an instant reflection of today with an ever-up-to-date "answer" to your queries?

    I mean, like, sure, there's a dark festering hangover of detritus lingering around if you go hunting to prove Pluto is a planet. But get over it.

    Likewise, LIVE Revit, for those who might Live Revit, for (some of) us means the job.... as "it" is... not the revision before, not the state of last year, but what it is now.


    BUT


    …there's that [strikethrough]magic[/wedonthavestrikethroughdowe] mystical it!

    Soooo.….

    • Data (Value) Export A on Date 1.... 1=1
    • Date (Value) Export A on Date 2.... 1=2




    How are you kids capturing the "+100%" / +1 / "Doubled" increase of "Value" (from 1 to 2)?

    (for sure) we can #obvs use amateurish .xls trickz to use 2No. data sources to compare (as tiresome and complicated as that is) - and I'm sure there's more L33T .xls skillz to learn in that regard of "data refresh"...

    …but throwing it out here, where the current revision is NOT king, (but the comparison with it and it's predecessor is) and curious how you folk be handling it?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,479
    Current Local Time
    04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    Isn't it wonderful when you go on the t'nternt and get an instant reflection of today with an ever-up-to-date "answer" to your queries?

    I mean, like, sure, there's a dark festering hangover of detritus lingering around if you go hunting to prove Pluto is a planet. But get over it.

    Likewise, LIVE Revit, for those who might Live Revit, for (some of) us means the job.... as "it" is... not the revision before, not the state of last year, but what it is now.


    BUT


    …there's that [strikethrough]magic[/wedonthavestrikethroughdowe] mystical it!

    Soooo.….

    • Data (Value) Export A on Date 1.... 1=1
    • Date (Value) Export A on Date 2.... 1=2




    How are you kids capturing the "+100%" / +1 / "Doubled" increase of "Value" (from 1 to 2)?

    (for sure) we can #obvs use amateurish .xls trickz to use 2No. data sources to compare (as tiresome and complicated as that is) - and I'm sure there's more L33T .xls skillz to learn in that regard of "data refresh"...

    …but throwing it out here, where the current revision is NOT king, (but the comparison with it and it's predecessor is) and curious how you folk be handling it?
    Ale or Scotch? LOL!

  3. #3
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    4,343
    Current Local Time
    11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    Ale or Scotch? LOL!
    Fatigue + Red Wine

  4. #4
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,479
    Current Local Time
    04:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    Fatigue + Red Wine
    Aye, I understand...just had a long lunch at the Club with me wifey and son...nap time Sorry to interrupt your spatial thought process!
    snowyweston likes this.

  5. #5
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    4,343
    Current Local Time
    11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    your spatial thought process!
    +rum


    ..but regardless, any (other) takers (?) welcome(d),,,,

  6. #6
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,907
    Current Local Time
    06:40 AM
    I do all of my Delta's in Excel, in prebuilt templates. And it works great... But Excel isn't what you're looking for.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

  7. #7
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    4,343
    Current Local Time
    11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I do all of my Delta's in Excel, in prebuilt templates.
    If you'd allow me to pry... A/B sources, with a "two-tables-in-one" (full of) lots of IFs and such? or something more fancy? I'm (presently) not seeing how I can pivot two against each other.

    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    But Excel isn't what you're looking for.
    I'm happy in Excel - but get the feeling there's something smoother to be had.

  8. #8
    Member BLothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11, 2013
    Location
    Livingston, Scotland
    Posts
    465
    Current Local Time
    11:40 AM
    I've genuinely not got a clue what this thread is about. Maybe I've not had enough coffee to function yet but care to clarify what it is that you are trying to do?
    Andres Franco and snowyweston like this.

  9. #9
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    4,343
    Current Local Time
    11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    I've genuinely not got a clue what this thread is about.
    Don't worry.

    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    care to clarify what it is that you are trying to do?
    For sure...

    (if I can)



    Monday: I export/create/issue a room schedule. Room #1 has an area 5m2.
    Thursday: I export/create/issue the room schedule again. Room #1 now has an area 6m2.

    I/my client/someone wants to know/see the 1m2 uplift between the revisions - without playing spot the difference.


    ...My current thinking: is an A/B source method, with comparative equations, etc... and swapping them out one-for-one as they supersede themselves - but (my current thinking) is clunky.

  10. #10
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,907
    Current Local Time
    06:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    If you'd allow me to pry... A/B sources, with a "two-tables-in-one" (full of) lots of IFs and such? or something more fancy? I'm (presently) not seeing how I can pivot two against each other.

    I'm happy in Excel - but get the feeling there's something smoother to be had.
    I think you are way overthinking it, personally. For a simple comparison of quantities (including deltas), its one table with both set sof data pasted in it, and one column, with formulas. Just have to think about how you want your data structured.

    BTW, when i say one table, i mean one table per "item type" im quantifying, since items get quantified differently (some by length, some by area, some by count, etc). But there isnt even a need for a Pivot Table.

    If you *want it* because its *fancy* then sure... you can massively over complicate it. But there isnt a need. One formula is able to over: Variance in quantity, including if that item is a new addition to the schedule, or if all of something was removed from a schedule.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Spot elevations
    By cokkomik in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 29th, 2016, 02:50 PM
  2. Spot Elevation
    By Deds in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 7th, 2012, 10:59 PM
  3. Spot elevation in a Box
    By lucis29 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 11th, 2012, 02:01 PM
  4. Spot Elevations
    By ChrisEmsley in forum Structure - General Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: January 24th, 2012, 04:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •