Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2164 USD (87%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Soffit Wrapping?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 24, 2015
    Posts
    30
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM

    Soffit Wrapping?

    Hi all,

    I'm curious whether this is an oversight or not. Can Revit somehow join the gyp board wrap of a soffit and a soffit wall? No matter what I try, I can't get rid of the blasted double line. I've tried joining geometry, unlocking the gyp layer, using the exact same material for both gyps.

    See attached image.

    Any tips are GREATLY appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Soffit Wrapping?-soffit.png  

  2. #2
    Forum Addict GMcDowellJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,642
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM
    Paint the edge of the exposed wall or ceiling with the material of the face.

  3. #3
    Senior Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2017
    Location
    Hernando, MS
    Posts
    501
    Current Local Time
    11:33 AM
    I just live with the double line in ceiling plans. It's not a problem for us. I'm more concerned with having the GB layer wrap properly in section, which yours does, which we get by drawing the ceiling piece at the core face of the walls instead of to the finished face of the walls like usual, and then joining geometry.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 24, 2015
    Posts
    30
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Paint the edge of the exposed wall or ceiling with the material of the face.
    They're already both the same material. Besides, I was hoping to find an integrated way to do it without any extra steps (like how walls wrap simply without showing the interior edge of the gyp). If I'm going to re-touch every soffit, I'll simply use the linework tool to hide that line. But I don't want to do that either. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 24, 2015
    Posts
    30
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    I just live with the double line in ceiling plans. It's not a problem for us. I'm more concerned with having the GB layer wrap properly in section, which yours does, which we get by drawing the ceiling piece at the core face of the walls instead of to the finished face of the walls like usual, and then joining geometry.
    Ya, I could live with it as well. But my PM can't. I'd even settle for a simple (simple) workaround that doesn't require going to every single soffit. I doubt there is one

  6. #6
    Forum Addict GMcDowellJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,642
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmc73 View Post
    They're already both the same material. Besides, I was hoping to find an integrated way to do it without any extra steps (like how walls wrap simply without showing the interior edge of the gyp). If I'm going to re-touch every soffit, I'll simply use the linework tool to hide that line. But I don't want to do that either. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
    The ends of walls, ceilings, roofs, and floors donít use the materials of their layers on those faces. Iím not saying itís a good workflow, itís crap, but it is a way to get rid of the line. Youíll need to do it regardless if you plan to render the area.

    One other approach you can take; create a wall type specifically for soffits that includes the outer layer turning under the wall.
    d.stairmand likes this.

  7. #7
    Senior Member PatrickGSR94's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2017
    Location
    Hernando, MS
    Posts
    501
    Current Local Time
    11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    One other approach you can take; create a wall type specifically for soffits that includes the outer layer turning under the wall.
    Wait hold up, how do you make that work?
    johnmc73 and d.stairmand like this.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    September 24, 2015
    Posts
    30
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    One other approach you can take; create a wall type specifically for soffits that includes the outer layer turning under the wall.
    This is an intriguing concept. But where do you do this? The "wrap at ends" command doesn't change it.

  9. #9
    jmk
    jmk is offline
    Forum Addict jmk's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 31, 2012
    Location
    NM, USA
    Posts
    1,456
    Current Local Time
    10:33 AM
    My trick for soffits is to add sweeps to the bottom of the soffit wall type. These sweeps are mitered and match the material on the vertical and the ceiling. The ceiling is then drawn between them. About 70% of the time I can then join the soffit walls and ceiling to eliminate the lines. The other 30% I have to go and use the modify line tool to make them invisible.

    Soffit Wrapping?-soffit-wall-miter.pngSoffit Wrapping?-soffit-modeled.png
    cganiere likes this.

  10. #10
    The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14, 2010
    Location
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    Posts
    4,814
    Current Local Time
    09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickGSR94 View Post
    Wait hold up, how do you make that work?
    Change the function of the wall type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Steelwork on sloping soffit
    By simon1688 in forum Structure - General Questions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 21st, 2015, 02:45 PM
  2. pointed roof soffit
    By adamheon in forum Architecture - Conceptual Massing and Adaptive Components
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 11th, 2013, 06:39 PM
  3. Gable Soffit Closure
    By kowen1208 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 25th, 2013, 02:36 AM
  4. Curved Soffit Beam
    By MartinGT in forum Structure - General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM
  5. Tag A Soffit?
    By Drew in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: June 24th, 2011, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •