Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 1627 USD (65%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Detail Component Organization

  1.    #1
    Member
    Join Date
    April 14, 2014
    Posts
    66
    Current Local Time
    04:50 PM

    Detail Component Organization

    How do you organize your detail components? I have thought up a couple systems, but they will all get shot the second you load an OOTB family in. Maintaining an entire library of renamed OOTB detail components is not manageable for a small company like the one I work for. Without any organization, the detail component families quickly become a gigantic mess.

    I'd love to hear any ideas.

  2.    #2
    Member jsnyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 9, 2010
    Location
    AUGI Refugee
    Posts
    347
    Current Local Time
    01:50 PM
    I think there are several threads on the forum regarding this topic, but as a quick answer, we organize them by CSI specification number.
    rosskirby likes this.

  3.    #3
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,188
    Current Local Time
    03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1979 View Post
    How do you organize your detail components? I have thought up a couple systems, but they will all get shot the second you load an OOTB family in. Maintaining an entire library of renamed OOTB detail components is not manageable for a small company like the one I work for. Without any organization, the detail component families quickly become a gigantic mess.

    I'd love to hear any ideas.
    Not using the OOTB Detail Components (and/or managing a renamed version of them) is absolutely manageable for a small firm. You are one 40 dollar license of Bulk Rename Utility (and 2 hours of your time) from having it done.

  4.    #4
    Member
    Join Date
    January 19, 2012
    Posts
    327
    Current Local Time
    03:50 PM
    CSI then for the model content add the Revit Category it's assigned to & maybe 3 other fields. That way as you're in a detailed view you can more easily coordinate what Detail Items to bring in. Do the same with Materials so an assembly with proper materials with proper CSI prefixes can tell you most of the detail outline it needs. Like the cheesy cliches; using CSI #'s is the Synergy between going from Large Scope to Small Scope that does the Heavy Lifting to produce a Win-Win Situation. That's all the cliches I could bear to write so you can convince corporate, lol.

  5.    #5
    Member
    Join Date
    April 14, 2014
    Posts
    66
    Current Local Time
    04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Not using the OOTB Detail Components (and/or managing a renamed version of them) is absolutely manageable for a small firm. You are one 40 dollar license of Bulk Rename Utility (and 2 hours of your time) from having it done.
    Are there any tutorials for such a process and any specific programs you would recommend?

  6.    #6
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,188
    Current Local Time
    03:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1979 View Post
    Are there any tutorials for such a process and any specific programs you would recommend?
    Bulk Rename Utility. 40 dollars.

    Drop families in folder by folder. Bulk select in the UI. Rename. Repeat til the library is done.

    Super fast.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Andres Franco and d.stairmand like this.

  7.    #7
    Moderator DaveP's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 10, 2011
    Location
    St Paul, MN
    Posts
    2,980
    Current Local Time
    03:50 PM
    We use a freebie called Advanced Renamer.
    You can add or remove characters, or replace one string with another, even do things like swap the first word and the second (first name, last name to last name, first name)
    It also lets you preview your changes before you apply them.

  8.    #8
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,619
    Current Local Time
    06:50 AM
    +1 Bulk renamer. I also have a few dynamo scripts to work on families & type names within a project.
    Last edited by elton williams; May 21st, 2019 at 03:23 AM.

  9.    #9
    Member tuekappel's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6, 2012
    Location
    Frederiksberg, Denmark
    Posts
    334
    Current Local Time
    08:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    We use a freebie called Advanced Renamer.
    You can add or remove characters, or replace one string with another, even do things like swap the first word and the second (first name, last name to last name, first name)
    It also lets you preview your changes before you apply them.
    Total Commander also does most of these things. Plus a ton of other file management chores.
    Nurlan likes this.

  10.    #10
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,141
    Current Local Time
    04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1979 View Post
    Are there any tutorials for such a process and any specific programs you would recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Bulk Rename Utility. 40 dollars.

    Drop families in folder by folder. Bulk select in the UI. Rename. Repeat til the library is done.
    I would recommend running a few trials before you hit the office standards folder. Bulk Rename Utility is amazing, but there is no undo function, and you can completely hose a directory in about 5 seconds if you aren't paying attention. Otherwise - what Aaron said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Detail Component vs Line Based Detail Component
    By d.stairmand in forum Architecture - Family Creation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 23rd, 2017, 03:52 AM
  2. Creating Detail Component
    By Yan Naing Bo in forum Structure - Family Creation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 25th, 2012, 09:21 PM
  3. Detail Component Creation from CAD
    By cellophane in forum Architecture - Family Creation
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: February 1st, 2012, 07:02 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 7th, 2011, 02:15 AM
  5. Detail Component
    By gdoherty0102 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 14th, 2010, 10:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •