Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 2164 USD (87%)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Deleting levels w/o deleting elements

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    April 22, 2017
    Posts
    64
    Current Local Time
    10:05 AM

    Deleting levels w/o deleting elements

    Hey all,

    I have a model from an architect which includes 11 levels. I linked the .rvt to my template, bound it, ungrouped it and now I want to assign my levels to a select few. I don't need all 11 levels as I can get away with only 3-4 floor plans (levels) with this project.

    Is there a way to delete the unwanted levels without losing elements as well as assigning my levels to said levels? I'm not worried about losing the views, I just don't want to lose parts of the model. I'll post clips in the attachments of what I'm talking about.

    A roof level for instance - if I delete a lower roof level, it will also remove parts of the roof that are associated to that level.

    All of my projects (3) have been with linking CAD's to Revit, so this is new to me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Deleting levels w/o deleting elements-warning.png  

  2. #2
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,523
    Current Local Time
    07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JT44 View Post
    Hey all,

    I have a model from an architect which includes 11 levels. I linked the .rvt to my template, bound it, ungrouped it and now I want to assign my levels to a select few. I don't need all 11 levels as I can get away with only 3-4 floor plans (levels) with this project.

    Is there a way to delete the unwanted levels without losing elements as well as assigning my levels to said levels? I'm not worried about losing the views, I just don't want to lose parts of the model. I'll post clips in the attachments of what I'm talking about.

    A roof level for instance - if I delete a lower roof level, it will also remove parts of the roof that are associated to that level.

    All of my projects (3) have been with linking CAD's to Revit, so this is new to me.
    I don't know why you would link, bind, and ungroup an Arch model in your model. Just link it. Then copy/monitor the levels that you need so they are in your model and turn off levels in the Arch model link with V/G
    josephpeel and Andres Franco like this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    April 22, 2017
    Posts
    64
    Current Local Time
    10:05 AM
    That makes a lot more sense than the way we've all been trained to do so.

    Am I still able to make changes to the model if I only link it? I'll need to modify curtain walls and masses within the model to reflect our system.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,523
    Current Local Time
    07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JT44 View Post
    That makes a lot more sense than the way we've all been trained to do so.

    Am I still able to make changes to the model if I only link it? I'll need to modify curtain walls and masses within the model to reflect our system.
    no you wouldn't...but, my #1 rule is Never Alter Someone Else's Model. Use the geometry in the Arch linked model as a background or guide to create your own native geometry then turn their geometry off with V/G. How can you be certain that the Architect has created what will be your content correctly and accurately. Usually Architectural content is but a "guide" to communicate an intent but not meant to be a 100% accurate representation of the scope of work that you will be providing.

  5. #5
    The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14, 2010
    Location
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    Posts
    4,814
    Current Local Time
    07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JT44 View Post
    That makes a lot more sense than the way we've all been trained to do so.
    What were you trained to do if there were lots of changes in the architect's model?

  6. #6
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,523
    Current Local Time
    07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    What were you trained to do if there were lots of changes in the architect's model?
    good point. I've never had a project that didn't have multiple Arch and/or Struc Revit model redistributions. A Facebook project that I did, the Architect (Gehry Partners) issued a new model every week over the almost 2 year duration of the project for me.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    April 22, 2017
    Posts
    64
    Current Local Time
    10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    no you wouldn't...but, my #1 rule is Never Alter Someone Else's Model. Use the geometry in the Arch linked model as a background or guide to create your own native geometry then turn their geometry off with V/G.
    Ok that makes perfect sense. So leave their curtain walls and masses intact, and create my own masses and such to be correct, then turn theirs off for shop drawings. Got it! I must have been over thinking it since I haven’t worked off an existing model yet. Thanks!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    April 22, 2017
    Posts
    64
    Current Local Time
    10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    What were you trained to do if there were lots of changes in the architect's model?
    Wall families for example:

    If there is 5/8 dens with 3” rigid insulation and then an incorrect system depth of our product, then we would edit the family to reflect a correct system depth for our product. Once that is complete, create a separate mass on top of that then place adaptive components.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,523
    Current Local Time
    07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JT44 View Post
    Wall families for example:

    If there is 5/8 dens with 3” rigid insulation and then an incorrect system depth of our product, then we would edit the family to reflect a correct system depth for our product. Once that is complete, create a separate mass on top of that then place adaptive components.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (holding head so it doesn't burst)

    Edit: unless you are talking about altering YOUR family, not the Architect's family
    Last edited by Dave Jones; November 26th, 2018 at 08:56 PM.
    tidalwave1 likes this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    April 22, 2017
    Posts
    64
    Current Local Time
    10:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (holding head so it doesn't burst)

    Edit: unless you are talking about altering YOUR family, not the Architect's family
    Hahaha nope. That’s what we were trained to do.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Revit OpEd: Deleting All Levels
    By Revit OpEd in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 1st, 2015, 05:45 AM
  2. deleting parameters...
    By sorati22 in forum Structure - General Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 31st, 2015, 11:57 AM
  3. deleting grids = deleting what else?
    By lost again again in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 28th, 2013, 11:56 PM
  4. deleting import
    By imsureakoto in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: September 6th, 2012, 03:32 PM
  5. Deleting Levels will delete other views
    By Drew in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: January 12th, 2012, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •