Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Annotating grouped curtain walls

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 18, 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    334
    Current Local Time
    08:12 PM

    Question Annotating grouped curtain walls

    Working on a multi tower residential building. I'm working through the podium level windows which are punched curtain wall windows and I'm grouping all the various conditions. I plan to use the anno phasing method to elevate and dimension the windows. I'm stumped on how to annotate (tag) the windows in plan to point thme to the windows elevations. Do you create multiple "types" and use the type mark which seems silly. Should it be the instance mark? That seems silly to me as well. I'm almost looking for a type mark within a group, but that doesn't exist.

  2. #2
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,411
    Current Local Time
    09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheinaranta View Post
    Working on a multi tower residential building. I'm working through the podium level windows which are punched curtain wall windows and I'm grouping all the various conditions. I plan to use the anno phasing method to elevate and dimension the windows. I'm stumped on how to annotate (tag) the windows in plan to point thme to the windows elevations. Do you create multiple "types" and use the type mark which seems silly. Should it be the instance mark? That seems silly to me as well. I'm almost looking for a type mark within a group, but that doesn't exist.
    A generic model family, with a generic annotation in it that looks like a window tag. It's Mark value can be used (instead of type mark) since it's in a group.

    When I'm back in the office I can post one.

    Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

    Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    elton williams and Ning Zhou like this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 18, 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    334
    Current Local Time
    08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    A generic model family, with a generic annotation in it that looks like a window tag. It's Mark value can be used (instead of type mark) since it's in a group.

    When I'm back in the office I can post one.
    Generic model? Oh dear... already went down the rabbit hole of curtain walls.

    I'm thinking tagging the "mark" is the only way to go... which means a little manual coordination.

  4. #4
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,394
    Current Local Time
    07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheinaranta View Post
    Generic model? Oh dear... already went down the rabbit hole of curtain walls.

    I'm thinking tagging the "mark" is the only way to go... which means a little manual coordination.
    maybe I'm not understanding the issue? I tag curtain walls in groups all the time. I just have a SP called FrameMk that is an instance Text parameter and I have a Wall tag setup to read that parameter. Tab select the curtain wall in the group while in Tag mode and place your tag.

    edit: the only downside to having curtain wall in groups is you can't Tag All to do them all at once.
    Last edited by Dave Jones; May 23rd, 2018 at 04:51 PM.

  5. #5
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,411
    Current Local Time
    09:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cheinaranta View Post
    Generic model? Oh dear... already went down the rabbit hole of curtain walls.

    I'm thinking tagging the "mark" is the only way to go... which means a little manual coordination.
    No no... The Generic Model is an empty family. it "only" has the Symbol (Generic Annotation) in it. But since its a modeled object, included in the group, it "auto tags" when the group is copied around, since its not a "tag" its a "Generic Model."

    Yeah, if you dont mind tagging them all manually, you can certainly use a normal tag.
    Ning Zhou likes this.

  6. #6
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,394
    Current Local Time
    07:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    No no... The Generic Model is an empty family. it "only" has the Symbol (Generic Annotation) in it. But since its a modeled object, included in the group, it "auto tags" when the group is copied around, since its not a "tag" its a "Generic Model."

    Yeah, if you dont mind tagging them all manually, you can certainly use a normal tag.
    I'm interested in this process. Is it possible to get a copy of the GM family? How does the tag locate itself in the correct place in plan or elevation?

  7. #7
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,411
    Current Local Time
    09:12 PM
    It involves some compromise, in the way the process works. The tag ISNT movable, unless you decide to make it movable (i dont bother). Its very much like having a Generic Annotation nested in an Electrical Fixture, at that point.

    My computer is batch running some tasks ATM. When its done, ill upload a GIF of it.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 18, 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    334
    Current Local Time
    08:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    maybe I'm not understanding the issue? I tag curtain walls in groups all the time. I just have a SP called FrameMk that is an instance Text parameter and I have a Wall tag setup to read that parameter. Tab select the curtain wall in the group while in Tag mode and place your tag.

    edit: the only downside to having curtain wall in groups is you can't Tag All to do them all at once.
    I think you understand it.
    I've got one curtain wall type. I've got maybe 20+ different configurations of that one type. I've grouped them to cover off all the different configurations, because of that, I can't use the type mark. You can't tag the model group. So that only leaves tagging one of the default parameters (mark) or as you've done, add an instance shared parameter.

    OR

    Embed a generic model that has a generic annotation in it as Aaron described.

    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    No no... The Generic Model is an empty family. it "only" has the Symbol (Generic Annotation) in it. But since its a modeled object, included in the group, it "auto tags" when the group is copied around, since its not a "tag" its a "Generic Model."

    Yeah, if you dont mind tagging them all manually, you can certainly use a normal tag.
    Ahh, I'm following. A bit of a loop hole to add "annotation" to a model group. That's sneaky.
    Consistency of documenting the various conditions is a bit better using a GM. I'll have to give it a whirl. Thank you.
    Last edited by cheinaranta; May 23rd, 2018 at 05:50 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    9,411
    Current Local Time
    09:12 PM
    There are a few upsides and a few downsides:

    Upsides to the Nested GA in the Nested GM:

    1. You cant filter a GA, in a view by view manner (without turning them all off). You CAN filter the GM that HAs the GA, in a view by view manner... So i do. All of my "auto annotations" (basically anything that used to be done with a Symbol or Generic ANnotation) is now done this way. This also incldues *TAGS* for Groups: Hospital Rooms, Apartments, Typical units, etc).

    2. They can auto-appear, when new instances of the Groups are placed.

    3. Even though it uses an instance parameter (mine does) they are still all correctly "type marked" because that instance is grouped, and im not using the MARK value... meaning the parameter is set to be consistent throughout groups. (not vary by group instance).

    CONS / Downsides:

    1. For reasons they have never explained to me, Text thats IN a GA thats IN a GM, does NOT "perfectly" match text in the project or in tags. I cant put my finger on it, but its different. Almost like anti-aliasing is forced off on that text only. But youll notice it. And itll bother you.

    2. The text rotates. For me, i dont care. It still tells the information im after. I dont give a damn if its rotated on the sheet.

    3. Ive had weird "draw order" issues with it. Annotations arent supposed to be able to end up "underneath" the model, but the sure as heck can. They CAN cast shadows, too. LOL.
    Ning Zhou likes this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 18, 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    334
    Current Local Time
    08:12 PM
    Works like a dream...
    I get the text issue... almost looks like it's bold... but it's not.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Annotating grouped curtain walls-grouped-cw.jpg  
    Twiceroadsfool likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Curtain Walls - Location relative to adjacent walls
    By BLothian in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: January 17th, 2018, 12:18 AM
  2. Curtain grid based elements cannot be grouped
    By tws2189 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 27th, 2014, 06:51 PM
  3. Curtain grid based elements cannot be grouped.
    By Cyus in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 27th, 2014, 01:52 PM
  4. Different materials on grouped walls
    By brett05 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2013, 09:15 AM
  5. Visibility in 2014 Walls vs Curtain Walls
    By DaveP in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 10th, 2013, 08:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •