Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Corrugated Metal Wall

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    October 13, 2017
    Posts
    4
    Current Local Time
    03:21 PM

    Corrugated Metal Wall

    I'm trying to create a corrugated metal wall type.
    I tried the curtain wall way and add reveal way. They all have some issues.
    The thing I did was in the edit assembly create a vertical structure.
    But the reveals can only working horizontally not vertically.

    Anyone has an idea how to change the orientation of this? or any good ways to build a corrugated metal wall?

    Pls help me. Thanks.

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Corrugated Metal Wall-0001.jpg  

  2. #2
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    3,892
    Current Local Time
    11:21 PM
    What was wrong with the CW method you tried? 'cos that's where I'd be pointing you toward...

  3. #3
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,088
    Current Local Time
    03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin_advan View Post
    I'm trying to create a corrugated metal wall type.
    I tried the curtain wall way and add reveal way. They all have some issues.
    The thing I did was in the edit assembly create a vertical structure.
    But the reveals can only working horizontally not vertically.

    Anyone has an idea how to change the orientation of this? or any good ways to build a corrugated metal wall?

    Pls help me. Thanks.
    I agree with Snowy. No reason to not do corrugated panels with curtain wall. I detail a lot of Morin panels and have found, after some trial and error with curtain panels, that the easiest way to do horizontal or vertical corrugated panels is by using mullions instead of curtain panels. Just create a profile using the Profile-Mullion template of the correct size and with two corrugations wide (doesn't matter re vertical or horizontal panels at this point). Load that profile into your project and create a new mullion using that profile. Then create a curtain wall type for your panel wall and specify your mullion as either a vertical intermediate or horizontal intermediate, don't specify types for any other mullion types then set your vertical or horizontal grid to Layout: Fixed Spacing and specify the center to center dimension of your two corrugations wide profile. I make curtain panels = Empty. Then create your corrugated curtain wall in a project floor plan as is normal. For backup wall construction (studs and sheathing for instance) I use a separate wall type. Nice thing about this method, is if you have the need it's easy to schedule panel widths and heights and total area for takeoff purposes. I just did these corrugated walls in less than 5 mins. If you'd like the project file with the mullion profile and mullion setup to investigate, let me know

  4. #4
    Senior Member biff's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13, 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    686
    Current Local Time
    10:21 AM
    Thanks dave, thats brilliant. Another ahha moment for me. Another time using another tool does the job. Will definitely give it a go.
    I have wondered sometimes that we can have sweeps horizontally in walls, but it is missing the ability to have the vertical profile, and how that would be good to have that.

  5. #5
    Forum Addict GMcDowellJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,068
    Current Local Time
    04:21 PM
    I’ve been using curtain wall panels with the profiles as arrayed sweeps. It would be interesting to try both and see which performs better in a project. I suspect the panel would be slower because of the arrays.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,088
    Current Local Time
    03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    I’ve been using curtain wall panels with the profiles as arrayed sweeps. It would be interesting to try both and see which performs better in a project. I suspect the panel would be slower because of the arrays.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    that's been my experience too. The mullion process is just quicker and lighter. And, putting together the little sample that I posted illustrates how one can make any corrugated profile on the fly without much time spent. Around here, time is $
    d.stairmand likes this.

  7. #7
    Member Joshua Kohl's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    From Utica, NY currently in Allentown, PA
    Posts
    154
    Current Local Time
    06:21 PM
    How does the mullion method work when you have sheets that are cut to widths that don't equal out nicely?

  8. #8
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,523
    Current Local Time
    06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    I detail a lot of Morin panels and have found, after some trial and error with curtain panels, that the easiest way to do horizontal or vertical corrugated panels is by using mullions instead of curtain panels. Just create a profile using the Profile-Mullion template of the correct size and with two corrugations wide (doesn't matter re vertical or horizontal panels at this point).
    1. why mullions instead of a panel with an array?
    2. why do you do your mullions as 2 corrugations wide instead of individual?

  9. #9
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,088
    Current Local Time
    03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Kohl View Post
    How does the mullion method work when you have sheets that are cut to widths that don't equal out nicely?
    I don't worry about panel widths or overlaps at joints or where to stop at a corner. I'm providing a model with a visually accurate panel in all views and that panel wall has enough information built into it that I can mathematically order panels by quantity of sheets at standard panel width x however long the panels will be for that particular project. Any change of face plane has a 6" wide brake formed angle that allows a lot of +\- in panel width. Plus in the field if installers run into a condition where a panel is a bit to wide, rather than cut it they just increase the overlap
    Dave
    DDP


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,088
    Current Local Time
    03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    1. why mullions instead of a panel with an array?
    2. why do you do your mullions as 2 corrugations wide instead of individual?
    Mullions instead of curtain panels per your post above. Maybe two corrugations is not the correct term. Should be ONE corrugated pattern consisting of an outie and an innie shape. Does that make more sense?
    Dave
    DDP


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

    Edit: here's a screen shot of a Morin Y-36 corrugated panel mullion profile to visually explain my "innie and outie" comment
    Last edited by Dave Jones; October 16th, 2017 at 03:24 PM.
    cellophane and cganiere like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Corrugated Metal Wall Panel
    By GMcDowellJr in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: September 8th, 2015, 01:18 PM
  2. Metal Wall Panel (Standing Seam or Corrugated) - Modeled
    By doni49 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: February 9th, 2014, 05:21 PM
  3. Corrugated Metal Siding
    By doni49 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM
  4. creating a wall of corrugated metal
    By kunster in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 15th, 2012, 05:54 PM
  5. corrugated wall join?
    By nickikristensen in forum Structure - General Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 26th, 2012, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •