Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 2500 USD, Received: 1627 USD (65%)

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Documenting a Revit Library

  1. #1
    Moderator LeanneZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8, 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    762
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM

    Documenting a Revit Library

    Way back when, as hand drafters, "standard details" were kept on separate sheets in a binder; we'd xerox onto "sticky-back" and stick them on our mylar. As we transitioned into CAD with Intergraph and Microstation, we kept a library of "cells" to place in document files. As the firm transitioned to AutoCAD, the standard details were then re-created for ACAD.

    With each drafting method, a binder with physical copies of the standard details was kept. When starting a new project, the engineer could browse his notebook and hand the drafter a list of all the standard details he wanted incorporated into the project.

    When I started back with this firm, being the only one with Revit experience, I was tasked with re-creating all the department's standard details in Revit drafting views.

    Now it's time to document (print) and update our notebook of standard details.

    In my library, I have ALL the drafting views for our standard details. I also have three typical detail sheets (one for general notes, one for typical foundation details, one for typical framing details) so I can import all those typical details into my project(s) on a sheet, in the same place for each new project. Because those 40-50 "Typical" details are already placed on a sheet, I will not be able to add them to an additional 8.5"x11" single-detail sheet for the notebook.

    I could Duplicate with Detailing, but then I have identical details with differing names. And if one drafting view gets updated, the duplicate detail will also require update (or deletion, re-duplication, and re-placement on notebook sheet view.)

    How do you document your Standard Details Library?

  2. #2
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,490
    Current Local Time
    01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanneZ View Post
    Way back when, as hand drafters, "standard details" were kept on separate sheets in a binder; we'd xerox onto "sticky-back" and stick them on our mylar. As we transitioned into CAD with Intergraph and Microstation, we kept a library of "cells" to place in document files. As the firm transitioned to AutoCAD, the standard details were then re-created for ACAD.

    With each drafting method, a binder with physical copies of the standard details was kept. When starting a new project, the engineer could browse his notebook and hand the drafter a list of all the standard details he wanted incorporated into the project.

    When I started back with this firm, being the only one with Revit experience, I was tasked with re-creating all the department's standard details in Revit drafting views.

    Now it's time to document (print) and update our notebook of standard details.

    In my library, I have ALL the drafting views for our standard details. I also have three typical detail sheets (one for general notes, one for typical foundation details, one for typical framing details) so I can import all those typical details into my project(s) on a sheet, in the same place for each new project. Because those 40-50 "Typical" details are already placed on a sheet, I will not be able to add them to an additional 8.5"x11" single-detail sheet for the notebook.

    I could Duplicate with Detailing, but then I have identical details with differing names. And if one drafting view gets updated, the duplicate detail will also require update (or deletion, re-duplication, and re-placement on notebook sheet view.)

    How do you document your Standard Details Library?
    I've never tried this but in the Print dialog Print Range section there is an option to select views/sheets. Instead of selecting sheets why not just select the views you want to print and print to an 8 1/2" x 11" sheet setup?

  3. #3
    Moderator LeanneZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8, 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    762
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM
    I was hoping to put some type of official title block on the sheets, maybe with a family (at a minimum, some text) of the detail/drafting view name.

  4. #4
    Senior Member chris.macko's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM
    You could possibly group them and place the same group in multiple views. If they weren't drafting views I'd say duplicate as dependant, but that won't work here.

  5. #5
    Senior Member alexo4141's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25, 2011
    Location
    Québec, Canada
    Posts
    548
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM
    I also thought about it (allow the user to import a sheet already loaded of details)when creating our standard details library. I decided to remove that functionnality only because of that issue you're talking about. Just named my views with a prefix letter and number like "C01" (the first detail of the concrete category) and a significant name. Set title on sheet to be like the view name but without the prefix.

    Also printed a view list that shows the view name AND the title on sheet so the engineer can easily locate the details he wants through the first page. If he's not sure, he goes to the 2-3 pages he hesitates between and select the one he really wants.

    I know it's not what you really want but I hope it helped.

  6. #6
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,188
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM
    Ours are all in files that get Inser From File > Insert Views to bring them in.

    In those files they are placed on sheets based on commonalities, so people can decide to bring in entire sheets or individual details.

    For making a book of them? I could consider doing it on a webpage or something, and just PDFing the individual views, without worrying about the titleblock. I get the intent of making it *look old school* but its really not value adding, especially when you have to hack a way to do it.

    PDF the individual views, and put them in a navigatable document so people can flip view by view and see the name of the detail they want (the name of the pdf sheet).

    Its simple, its functional, its no extra work...

  7. #7
    Member kommunalka's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1, 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    129
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Ours are all in files that get Inser From File > Insert Views to bring them in.

    In those files they are placed on sheets based on commonalities, so people can decide to bring in entire sheets or individual details.

    For making a book of them? I could consider doing it on a webpage or something, and just PDFing the individual views, without worrying about the titleblock. I get the intent of making it *look old school* but its really not value adding, especially when you have to hack a way to do it.

    PDF the individual views, and put them in a navigatable document so people can flip view by view and see the name of the detail they want (the name of the pdf sheet).

    Its simple, its functional, its no extra work...

    This seems to be a great solution across the board...

    Our firm has begun the standardization of our Revit library in a single detail file location.

    I like the idea of simply running a PDF set of the views for quick go between. This could also be integrated within the company's intranet to make the content readily available to all PM/PA types.

  8. #8
    Moderator LeanneZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8, 2010
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    762
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Ours are all in files that get Inser From File > Insert Views to bring them in.

    In those files they are placed on sheets based on commonalities, so people can decide to bring in entire sheets or individual details.
    Ditto to the above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    For making a book of them? I could consider doing it on a webpage or something, and just PDFing the individual views, without worrying about the titleblock. I get the intent of making it *look old school* but its really not value adding, especially when you have to hack a way to do it.

    PDF the individual views, and put them in a navigatable document so people can flip view by view and see the name of the detail they want (the name of the pdf sheet).

    Its simple, its functional, its no extra work...
    Hmmm... I like it.
    I'm not going to argue not having a physical piece of paper that shows the detail name on it, if the searchable .pdf works.

    However, I know for me I can see stuff better on a sheet of paper than on a computer screen. And, I'm working with some engineers that are more senior to me, somewhat "old-school" and somewhat set in their ways.

  9. #9
    Forum Co-Founder Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    10,188
    Current Local Time
    03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LeanneZ View Post
    Ditto to the above.


    Hmmm... I like it.
    I'm not going to argue not having a physical piece of paper that shows the detail name on it, if the searchable .pdf works.

    However, I know for me I can see stuff better on a sheet of paper than on a computer screen. And, I'm working with some engineers that are more senior to me, somewhat "old-school" and somewhat set in their ways.
    Hey, i mean... You gotta do what you gotta do. But i gave up on paper copies of anything, with how fast information gets outdated. Sure, they will say *this detail will NEVER change,* but the moment its on paper if 40 locations, thats a risk you have to take. All of our standards (even though there arent tons written out) are in PDF format. If people want paper, they are more than welcome to make it paper, and maintain it themselves.

  10. #10
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,141
    Current Local Time
    04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    with how fast information gets outdated. Sure, they will say *this detail will NEVER change,*
    One of our clients provides a set of standard details (standard for all their stores) that get updated constantly. Every job we have to update at least five or ten of them

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 11th, 2012, 05:16 AM
  2. Documenting the Revit Template
    By kpcarch in forum Tutorials, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 16th, 2012, 10:42 PM
  3. How I can put behind my elevation a Revit 2d Tree from standard library?
    By urzoman in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 18th, 2011, 10:27 AM
  4. Inside the System: Documenting Multi-Section Panels
    By Inside the System in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 12th, 2011, 01:20 PM
  5. Revit OOB library on server
    By pfaudler in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 16th, 2011, 11:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •