Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3000 USD, Received: 1207 USD (40%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Gutter end caps

  1. #1
    Senior Member DavidLarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 10, 2015
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    641
    Current Local Time
    02:29 AM

    Gutter end caps

    I've been tasked with finding a better solution to putting end caps on gutters. Any advice other than model in place?

  2. #2
    Moderator mark b's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Current Local Time
    06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidLarson View Post
    I've been tasked with finding a better solution to putting end caps on gutters. Any advice other than model in place?
    Copy your gutter profile then edit it to make it a second "solid" profile.
    Load in and make a new gutter "End Cap"
    Place gutter then place a second gutter (end cap) over top of it.
    Select "end cap gutter" then use drag dots and drag to end of gutter, you will get temp. dimensions to help you if needed.
    Then use "Join Geometry" on both gutters.
    Not an ideal work around but works.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gutter end caps-end-cap.jpg   Gutter end caps-capture.jpg  
    Last edited by mark b; March 6th, 2019 at 12:58 AM.
    biff, Andres Franco and cganiere like this.

  3. #3
    Member d.stairmand's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24, 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    341
    Current Local Time
    08:29 PM
    We are using a Line based Family, that has End Caps & Gutter Brackets all-in-one
    Munkholm, biff, cellophane and 1 others like this.

  4. #4
    Member mjajansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    177
    Current Local Time
    08:29 AM
    I also use a linebased generic familie with the gutter and endcap in 1 family and it works very nice.
    Last edited by mjajansen; March 7th, 2019 at 07:56 AM.

  5. #5
    Moderator mark b's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    1,429
    Current Local Time
    06:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjajansen View Post
    I also use a linebased generic familie with the gutter and endcap in 1 family and it works very nice.
    How does this work with internal and external corners ?
    I can see how it would work with straight runs but not when it involves corners...

  6. #6
    Senior Member chris.macko's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 12, 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    523
    Current Local Time
    03:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    Copy your gutter profile then edit it to make it a second "solid" profile.
    Load in and make a new gutter "End Cap"
    Place gutter then place a second gutter (end cap) over top of it.
    Select "end cap gutter" then use drag dots and drag to end of gutter, you will get temp. dimensions to help you if needed.
    Then use "Join Geometry" on both gutters.
    Not an ideal work around but works.
    I've used this approach too, but I'll add one extra step that might help. When editing the roof sketch, split the boundary 1/2" or whatever dimension you want from the ends. That way when you place your gutters they'll follow the boundary line segments and you can just create the solid gutter on the end piece. No dragging or eyeballing required.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Andres Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21, 2012
    Location
    Tours, France
    Posts
    937
    Current Local Time
    10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    Copy your gutter profile then edit it to make it a second "solid" profile.
    Load in and make a new gutter "End Cap"
    Place gutter then place a second gutter (end cap) over top of it.
    Select "end cap gutter" then use drag dots and drag to end of gutter, you will get temp. dimensions to help you if needed.
    Then use "Join Geometry" on both gutters.
    Not an ideal work around but works.
    I've just tested the workaround you've proposed here and I must say that it works perfect for me!! regards

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gutter end caps-gutter-end-caps.jpg  
    cganiere likes this.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Andres Franco's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 21, 2012
    Location
    Tours, France
    Posts
    937
    Current Local Time
    10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.macko View Post
    I've used this approach too, but I'll add one extra step that might help. When editing the roof sketch, split the boundary 1/2" or whatever dimension you want from the ends. That way when you place your gutters they'll follow the boundary line segments and you can just create the solid gutter on the end piece. No dragging or eyeballing required.
    Sweet!! I'll add your extra step to my personal workarounds!! bets regards

  9. #9
    Member FBlome's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Menlo Park, California
    Posts
    87
    Current Local Time
    01:29 AM
    Long ago I choose to hack the solution, and used a gutter profile with a top, ie completely solid/closed. Result was no end caps necessary, and gutters in roof plan looked simple with a single line. Sections not so good looking but at 1/4" scale, nobody has ever noticed nor complained..... Larger scale sections get overlayed with detail anyways, with my workflow.

  10. #10
    Member mjajansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26, 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    177
    Current Local Time
    08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    How does this work with internal and external corners ?
    I can see how it would work with straight runs but not when it involves corners...
    I got 2 families, 1 with endcaps and 1 where you can adjust the corners to 45 degree.
    And if you are better with families than me you can give the endcap a parameter so you can turn it on and off, so you only need 1 family.
    Andres Franco likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RTC: Get On Your Thinking Caps
    By RTC in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 16th, 2017, 12:15 AM
  2. AHK Auto Caps Lock script
    By rkitect in forum Tutorials, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 24th, 2014, 09:16 PM
  3. Looking for Suggestions - Column Caps/Soffits
    By TRWhitehead in forum Structure - Family Creation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 10th, 2013, 02:53 PM
  4. Pipe End Caps Only Slope if added AFTER
    By narlee in forum MEP - General
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: July 26th, 2013, 10:23 AM
  5. Pile Caps Acting Up
    By RevitNinja in forum Structure - Family Creation
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 19th, 2011, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •