Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3000 USD, Received: 1207 USD (40%)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Custom Stair Tread & Riser - Concrete Filled Pan

  1. #1
    Member BLothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11, 2013
    Location
    Livingston, Scotland
    Posts
    465
    Current Local Time
    02:27 PM

    Custom Stair Tread & Riser - Concrete Filled Pan

    Has anyone ever created something like this before?


    I know we can create separate profiles for treads/nosings/risers etc... however am I right in thinking that custom profiles for these components can't be parameterised. If so do you end up duplicating profiles and hard coding the sketch sizes to suit the situation? E.g. a stair has a custom riser/tread that is to be used on storeys where the riser height and/or tread length is different.
    Last edited by BLothian; July 24th, 2018 at 12:49 PM.

  2. #2
    Moderator Robin Deurloo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 7, 2011
    Location
    Rotterdam, Holland
    Posts
    1,169
    Current Local Time
    04:27 PM
    for some reason I am always very tempted to build a stairs as a generic model (or some other category), because I still dislike the stairs tool. Pretty sure that would be the case with your example as well.

  3. #3
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,602
    Current Local Time
    12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    Has anyone ever created something like this before?


    I know we can create separate profiles for treads/nosings/risers etc... however am I right in thinking that custom profiles for these components can't be parameterised. If so do you end up duplicating profiles and hard coding the sketch sizes to suit the situation? E.g. a stair has a custom riser/tread that is to be used on storeys where the riser height and/or tread length is different.
    You can parameterise profiles but only by type, so that means new profile types for each run type. And no, the stair tool won't allow instance based profiles per tread/riser in a single run. So it's 1 profile per stair type. Well, per run type per stair type...smh.
    Dont know the rules of Scotland but down here every step needs to be the same throughout each run anyway.
    Last edited by elton williams; July 24th, 2018 at 01:13 PM.

  4. #4
    Member BLothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11, 2013
    Location
    Livingston, Scotland
    Posts
    465
    Current Local Time
    02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    You can parameterise profiles but only by type, so that means new profile types for each run type. And no, the stair tool won't allow instance based profiles per tread/riser in a single run. So it's 1 profile per stair type. Well, per run type per stair type...smh.
    Dont know the rules of Scotland but down here every step needs to be the same throughout each run anyway.
    Hey Elton, I guess what I wrote was a little confusing. In each run, all risers and treads will be constant (like you guys in Oz, we aren't allowed to vary these in a run). What I was meaning is that I have different storey heights in a current project (2550/3600/2850) and I have a common stair which provides access to all of these. If I were to use a custom Tread/Riser/Nosing profile, I'd like to be able to use it on runs for all of these storeys however I'm pretty certain I can't link a custom tread depth parameter in the profile family to the equivalent instance parameter in the stair therefore any variances in risers and treads for the different storeys (I assume) will need different profiles drawn to the size needed.

  5. #5
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,602
    Current Local Time
    12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    Hey Elton, I guess what I wrote was a little confusing. In each run, all risers and treads will be constant (like you guys in Oz, we aren't allowed to vary these in a run). What I was meaning is that I have different storey heights in a current project (2550/3600/2850) and I have a common stair which provides access to all of these. If I were to use a custom Tread/Riser/Nosing profile, I'd like to be able to use it on runs for all of these storeys however I'm pretty certain I can't link a custom tread depth parameter in the profile family to the equivalent instance parameter in the stair therefore any variances in risers and treads for the different storeys (I assume) will need different profiles drawn to the size needed.
    Well, treads work off minimum length and risers maximum height. Without going back and seeing if you mention what Revit release you are using, from 2018 you can adjust level to level sections of multi level stairs individually. I don't know if this will allow unique conditions (within tread/riser parameters) but Paul Aubin has a really great video showing all the ins and outs of these new multi storey features on Lynda.com

  6. #6
    Member BLothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11, 2013
    Location
    Livingston, Scotland
    Posts
    465
    Current Local Time
    02:27 PM
    I'm using 2018.2 and I've yet to deal with multi-storey stairs. I've just been looking over typical fabricators drawings that I've just received and have noticed that the top tread is actually smaller that the normal tread:

    I think this is precisely a scenario where again the stair tool can't create a run with different length treads AND custom tread profiles.

    I recall a stairs video and handout that Phil Read demonstrated how to create complex stairs using balusters families with nested GM's. Even if that method were to work, it would probably take some time to get set up and accustomed to and I do wonder if perhaps Robin's suggestion of a GM family for the entire stair has some merit
    Last edited by BLothian; July 26th, 2018 at 08:29 PM.

  7. #7
    Forum Addict elton williams's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    2,602
    Current Local Time
    12:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    I'm using 2018.2 and I've yet to deal with multi-storey stairs. I've just been looking over typical fabricators drawings that I've just received and have noticed that the top tread is actually smaller that the normal tread:

    I think this is precisely a scenario where again the stair tool can't create a run with different length treads AND custom tread profiles.

    I recall a stairs video and handout that Phil Read demonstrated how to create complex stairs using balusters families with nested GM's. Even if that method were to work, it would probably take some time to get set up and accustomed to and I do wonder if perhaps Robin's suggestion of a GM family for the entire stair has some merit
    For difficult stairs i'm not against MIP except you'll need todeal with the loss of stair category visibility control in plan. You lose all the builtin cutline, dashed overhead, run arrows and tread numbering features.
    If you MIP you can use stair category, component family can't be stair category (although it could be a railing, i've never tried)

  8. #8
    Member d.stairmand's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24, 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    341
    Current Local Time
    02:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    I'm using 2018.2 and I've yet to deal with multi-storey stairs. I've just been looking over typical fabricators drawings that I've just received and have noticed that the top tread is actually smaller that the normal tread:

    I think this is precisely a scenario where again the stair tool can't create a run with different length treads AND custom tread profiles.

    I recall a stairs video and handout that Phil Read demonstrated how to create complex stairs using balusters families with nested GM's. Even if that method were to work, it would probably take some time to get set up and accustomed to and I do wonder if perhaps Robin's suggestion of a GM family for the entire stair has some merit
    I must be blind, but when I read that drawing, it says "9 risers @ 166.66"?
    That 250/240 measurement is the Stringer vs Floor Beam Set-down isn't it? nothing to do with the treads?

  9. #9
    Member BLothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11, 2013
    Location
    Livingston, Scotland
    Posts
    465
    Current Local Time
    02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by d.stairmand View Post
    I must be blind, but when I read that drawing, it says "9 risers @ 166.66"?
    That 250/240 measurement is the Stringer vs Floor Beam Set-down isn't it? nothing to do with the treads?
    I'm not sure what's confusing but :

    250 is the depth of the stringer
    240 is from FFL to top of PFC
    275 is the going of each tread
    166.66 is the rise of each tread

  10. #10
    Member d.stairmand's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 24, 2011
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    341
    Current Local Time
    02:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BLothian View Post
    I'm not sure what's confusing but :

    250 is the depth of the stringer
    240 is from FFL to top of PFC
    275 is the going of each tread
    166.66 is the rise of each tread
    Agree 100%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. stair landing/end with riser
    By jillcontest in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: February 22nd, 2018, 04:45 PM
  2. Riser in Stair Landing
    By dzatto in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: June 16th, 2017, 02:17 AM
  3. Stair Tread Obscuring Stair Path Arrow
    By Manderson in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 23rd, 2016, 07:22 PM
  4. Stair by Component - Stair tread profile & detail components
    By Jj Mac in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 17th, 2013, 06:26 PM
  5. Revit 2014 - Component stair - If you don't end with riser the last tread is shorter?
    By basilmir in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •