Thread: Plugins on the network?

Current Local Time
    02:28 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Plugins on the network?

I am looking at automating plug-in install, and as with so many things, what I as an IT person want to do is put the plug-in on the network and have everyone share it. But what the readme always says is install locally. Just wondering if anyone has played around with network resourced dlls like this. Is there a limit on the number of users who can access? Or does each user just load the dll to local RAM anyway, and there is no reason not to do this?

Any real world experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Gordon

Current Local Time

And perhaps even more urgent, has anyone gotten the ADNPlugin-RoomRenumbering plugin to work in 2012 at all? Even doing the entire install manually I get an error when I try to run. Given that it is an ADN freebee I expect no support out of Autodesk, so hopefully someone here can at least verify they have it running so I can start looking for what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!
    Gordon

Current Local Time
    07:28 PM

Rod Howarth put up some code to help with this :

http://blog.rodhowarth.com/2011/05/r...ins-to-be.html

Current Local Time

Jose, thanks for that. I may look at adding that to my install script.

On a related note, it turns out that what was causing my addin to fail even when installed locally was some fun new security in Windows 7. Scott Sheppard & Kean Walmsley hooked me up with the good info.

Per Kean: "Many of the 2012 family of products use version 4 of the .NET Framework. .NET 4.0 implements slightly more stringent security than prior versions of the framework: if a DLL is suspected as having been downloaded from the web as is clearly the case with our Plugins of the Month the .NET 4.0 runtime will treat that DLL as if it has been loaded from a network share. And as many of you have found out, from trying to load DLLs from network shares, this results in a reduced set of privileges on the local machine, which can often result in a load error such as this one:

Code:
    Cannot load assembly. Error details: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly...
    The solution is straightforward: you simply need to Unblock the DLL by right-clicking on it in Explorer and selecting Properties and Unblock. Its actually better to do this for the .ZIP prior to extracting the contents, as this makes sure all files contained in the archive are unblocked."

I followed this procedure on my copies of the files on the network, and now when I install locally everything works as expected. With Jose's info I should then be able to get it to work with only the manifest file getting copied, which is nice because updating to a new version of the dll just means coying it once to the network, no need to copy to each machine.

Sweet!

Gordon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unblock DLL.png 
Views:	1001 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	2105  

Current Local Time
    07:28 PM

Ive got a few plugins for 2012 that wont initialize at all unless Revit is right click> Run as Administrator'ed.

Sigh....

Although to ask an IT newb question, whats the benny of having the actual DLL's on the network? If you abandoned xml and are heading back to a VBS solution, why not just copy everything locally with the VBS? The .addin files are now in a local User directory anyway, so you cant avoid it (i dont think?).

Current Local Time

Aaron,
    I would try the unblock trick on those dlls, and the addin manifests too. I didn't try to Run Revit with elevated privaledges, but I think it might have worked.

As for networked dlls, when everyone is just running the one dll off the network, if the addin gets an update I just drop the new version of the dll in place, and everyone has the newest stuff, I get . Otherwise I have to go to each machine and run an install script. Not the end of the world eaither way, and I don't even know that many addins get an update all that often. But Kiwicodes sure does a good job, so maybe updating dlls will be a real task to consider automating.

Gordon

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time
    05:28 PM

Running as local admin wont work in some companies policies. That sucks.