Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Curtain walls not joining

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    September 20, 2011
    Posts
    1
    Current Local Time
    07:14 PM

    Curtain walls not joining

    I have two curtain wall systems that meet at an angle but the joints are inconsistent. I would like the horizontal mullions to look continuous and the glass to butt together without a vertical mullion at the joint. But in no circumstance is the glass butting together. There’s always a sizable gap. Sometimes, the mullions will automatically join as expected, but sometimes they won’t. I am using the same System Family for all Curtainwall.
    I am wondering if the Vertical Mullion Type within the CurtainWall System Family should be set to something other than “none.” But since I do not want a vertical mullion at the joint, I have left it at “None.”
    I have NOT disallowed joining.
    I have attached two images to help explain. Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtain walls not joining-plan_a.jpg   Curtain walls not joining-axon_a.jpg   Curtain walls not joining-axon_b.jpg   Curtain walls not joining-plan_b.jpg  

  2. #2
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    2,497
    Current Local Time
    05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    I have two curtain wall systems that meet at an angle but the joints are inconsistent. I would like the horizontal mullions to look continuous and the glass to butt together without a vertical mullion at the joint. But in no circumstance is the glass butting together. There’s always a sizable gap. Sometimes, the mullions will automatically join as expected, but sometimes they won’t. I am using the same System Family for all Curtainwall.
    I am wondering if the Vertical Mullion Type within the CurtainWall System Family should be set to something other than “none.” But since I do not want a vertical mullion at the joint, I have left it at “None.”
    I have NOT disallowed joining.
    I have attached two images to help explain. Thanks for your help.
    while I'm not a Revit expert I have been detailing curtain walls with Revit for a couple of years. I have fought this curtain wall idiosyncrasy for all of that time. I don't believe that there is any way possible to have a Revit curtain wall miter glass at a butt glazed corner. I'd love for someone to pop in and tell me that I'm wrong. Just part of the joy of using Revit curtain wall

  3. #3
    The Moderator with No Imagination MPwuzhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14, 2010
    Location
    Coeur d Alene, ID
    Posts
    2,732
    Current Local Time
    05:14 PM
    Instances such as these is why I just create a windows family instead of using a curtain wall....

  4. #4
    BIM there, done that cliff collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14, 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,425
    Current Local Time
    07:14 PM

  5. #5
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    2,497
    Current Local Time
    05:14 PM
    the first link I'd seen and for me it's an unacceptable work around (thanks for posting it though). The second link to Phil Read's post I hadn't seen before and there is no explanation about how he accomplished the very nice mitered curtain panel corner. I've got to dissect his file and figure out how he did it. Revit curtain wall is a continual journey

  6. #6
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    2,497
    Current Local Time
    05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    the first link I'd seen and for me it's an unacceptable work around (thanks for posting it though). The second link to Phil Read's post I hadn't seen before and there is no explanation about how he accomplished the very nice mitered curtain panel corner. I've got to dissect his file and figure out how he did it. Revit curtain wall is a continual journey
    nope, another dead end for me. Probably OK for the OP though. Phil Read's mitered panels are made from walls and won't schedule as curtain panels.

  7. #7
    BIM there, done that cliff collins's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14, 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,425
    Current Local Time
    07:14 PM
    A long time ago, I used this technique to "free up corners" of curtainwalls, but it was for ribbon-glazing in a wall, with butt glazed corners:

    Place openings in the 2 walls which form the corner, make them "align" at the corner. Then insert the curtain walls. The curtainwall is now "free" since it is inside theopening; not embedded into the wall--and doesn't "try to join"at the corners. I think the "disallow join" was not even required.

    Now I suppose this may not work well for full height glazing, as there would be a "fake" host wall--that could be put on another Phase, or on a Workset and turned off, or Filtered and turned off, etc.............

  8. #8
    Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Orlando, FL, USA | info@planta1.com
    Posts
    2,257
    Current Local Time
    08:14 PM
    A curtain panel with angles at both ends, with 2 types, one for left, one for right. Clean butt joint; panels can be tagged and scheduled normally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtain walls not joining-butt-corner-solution.jpg  
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; September 20th, 2011 at 06:40 PM.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    2,497
    Current Local Time
    05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    A curtain panel with angles at both ends, with 2 types, one for left, one for right. Clean butt joint; panels can be tagged and scheduled normally.
    thanks Alf, that's what I've been looking for!

  10. #10
    Moderator
    "Mark Twain"
    mdradvies's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 16, 2010
    Location
    Boxtel, Netherlands
    Posts
    4,553
    Current Local Time
    12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    A curtain panel with angles at both ends, with 2 types, one for left, one for right. Clean butt joint; panels can be tagged and scheduled normally.
    Not to be nitpicking, but that's not how it's made over here... Way to expensive to create glass plates with an angle... And you need a sealant.
    Why not use the L-corner Mullion to create a sealant?

    btw: when you create a cornered CW-connection they automatically join. If the horizontal mullions aren't automatically joining too, you need to toggle the Mullion Join. Select the Horizontal Mullion and click the #-icon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Curtain walls not joining-corner-mullion.png  
    Last edited by mdradvies; September 20th, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Munkholm likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Using Curtain Wall for Piles walls
    By jh75 in forum Structure - General Questions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: July 18th, 2011, 04:54 AM
  2. Inclined curtain walls
    By alexsasu in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 11th, 2011, 01:48 PM
  3. Walls joining up on their own
    By B Arch in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: April 27th, 2011, 09:21 PM
  4. Tagging Curtain Walls as Windows
    By stl4310 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 11th, 2011, 06:51 PM
  5. Joining Adjacent Walls - Help
    By RevitRookie in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 21st, 2010, 11:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •